Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You suck as a parent if you sign parental consent for a minor to marry.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Minor, meaning 17 and under

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM
That to me sounds like it was a wise choice. Makes it much easier for you to access medical benefits for you and your child. This is the same reason my DH and I got married when we did. We got married in February and he deployed in march. We were both over 18 at the time though.

Quoting Denecia:

My mom did for me. I was two months away from 18 and my dh was deploying in a couple of weeks. I was also pregnant and she did what she thought was best.
MSmama_x3
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I thought about the "minor" part after I posted!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't conside 20 a minor.

I mean under 17

Quoting MSmama_x3:

My mother signed for me to get married when I was 20 & have been married almost 6 years.
You have to be 21 in Mississippi to get married without consent. So, I guess I was a minor in that sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

My parents sighned for me when I was 16.I will never do it for mine.I wouldnt say my parents sucked but it was a mistake

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Where is that?

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

Here under 21 your parents still have to sign :P
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Exactly. My gf was forced to marry because she got pregnant, and he beat the crap out of her. Baby was still born, thankfully drs were able to revive him

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes please do tell your mother that.

I'm also sick of parents obligating marriage because of a pregnancy.

Marriage doesn't make teen pregnancy okay. You do not have to marry someone because they get you pregnant. That is such a ridiculous concept.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

I will be sure to tell my mom that then. Since it was wither that or let me have a baby our of wedlock. And NO it was NOT her fault I got pregnant. I ran away at 16 TO get pregnant because I thought my life was sooooooooo horrible at home. You know since I had rules, and chores, and a cerfew. Yea I was just a bad kid.

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM
My parents signed for me to get married. It was 1 week before I turned 18. I have been married 21 years. My parents certainly did not suck.

Eta I wasn't pregnant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I agree.  Even 18 is way too young to get married, let alone UNDER 18. Go to college, establish a career so that you CAN be independent if you want to.  Get out and see the world first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Judge not, lest you be judged.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Oops, I guess my parents suck. Signed it at 17. No regrets on either side. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I agree.  Even 18 is way too young to get married, let alone UNDER 18. Go to college, establish a career so that you CAN be independent if you want to.  Get out and see the world first.

Maybe some like myself would like to "see the world" with someone I loved with me. Everything you listed are things you can still do while married.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)