Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You suck as a parent if you sign parental consent for a minor to marry.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Minor, meaning 17 and under

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (71-80):
Hierophant85
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM
I personally would never give my underage children permission to marry.
But that doesn't mean I think someone who does fails as a parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM

i agree... even in families in the military-- just wait til you're legal to get married. if you love them, they love you- marriage can wait.

i will say, that i seen a 'wedding' with two little kds- about 5 years old, i believe... got the little girl a nice 'bridal' dress, and the boy ws all tuxed up. SUPER cute... but one of the kids (maybe both..?) was terminally ill and only had a few months to live- if that... so the 'wedding' was more like a promise to always be friends... but it gave the parents a little smile, to see their baby walking down the isle, knowing she'd never get to legal age TO marry someone.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I married young at 19.  We've been married for 18 years now.  But I never in a million years would have even approached my parents with the request to sign for me to marry before 18.  Just...no. 

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

hahahahaha you must have met my ex bil's parents

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:26 AM

There are several teens that have the income to support a family. There have been two-three teens that have already bought a house (one fixed it up and sold it to family). 

Quoting Anonymous:

Because Mature teen is incapable of financial stability to provide for a family that's why. A 16 yr old isn't capable of having an income to support a household, let alone needs to focus on finishing his/her education withoutt the stress of maintains a household.

Its absolutely stupid as a parent IMO.

Disagree if you want, that's my opinion

Quoting 1BoyManyGirls:

If the marriages last, apparently it wasn't a very stupid decision. Why not let a mature teen go out and be an adult if that's what's for them?

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you stop and think about what he hell my post actuallly said?

I never said anything about the marriages failing, or even unsuccessful in any way.

I said that the parents are stupid for doing it.

Quoting 1BoyManyGirls:

Disagree. Not all young marriages end. I was engaged at 16 and married at 18. Still with the same man 26 years later. In my state this is legal but my daughter got married at age 17...8 years later. Still married. Did you ever stop and think not everybody is stupid and wild as a teenager?

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:55 AM
It depends on the couple some people find true love very young and make it work. I don't think it makes the patents bad parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:05 AM
Me n my DH got married when he was 17 (im older) still married six years later
unusualmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:27 AM
I got married as soon as I turned of age. I would never even ask my parents for a consent - I know they wouldnt. Weve been married for 15 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pregomom468
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:34 AM

well lets just put it this way i would sign for my kids..... once they are 18 they can marry anyone they want

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:35 AM
My grandma did that for my mom when she was only 15..... to my biological dad who was many years older & ended up being extremely abusive. They divorced after 2 years. He is dead now & I spit on his grave.

I agree with your post..... Although I love my grandma more than anything. Everyone makes mistakes. Hm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN