Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh! My mil told dd she is a "porker"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dd is 11. She is not overweight but has put on some weight over the last few months. I think it is because her hormones and body are starting to change. Today she ate a normal size plate and then asked for a slice of pie for dessert. My mil said to her "you really shouldn't eat too much, you are already a little porker". I was extremely angry and snapped. She is already self-conscious over gaining the weight and starting to develop. I do not want her to have a negative body-image. She is beautiful and not fat at all. I am so angry that my mil said that. She wasn't joking, it was said in a rude way. Every time I think about it, I get more and more upset! My sil said she was always critical of her looks and weight when she was younger.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Marja2011
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM
And she is not in the hospital why????? god your mil is a piece of work.
I hope your DD does not take anything she said to heart. If so I'll help post bail for you.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd went to her room in tears. Her feelings were crushed and she kept saying "I'm so ugly". We talked about it and I basically told her that nana is just a bitch (i didn't use that word). Dh and I told her that she is absolutely beautiful and perfect the way she is. I don't know what to do to help her love herself. I want to get it under control now because there are always going to be critical assholes in this world.

Quoting bullemhead:

Wow. That's so harsh! Your poor daughter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM
What?nshe won't let your son use the bathroom or did I misunderstand that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Family sucks. My MIL is a moron. our son is 3 and she REFUSES to let the kid go pee on the toilet.  He has not seen her in a month and when we went over there for thanksgiving #2 she was so shocked he did not wet his clothes all day. Oh and the WTF look he gave when she handed him a sippy cup. Was a "I do not drink baby cups!" The boy has not used a sippy cup since he was 2...She is a nut. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Family sucks. My MIL is a moron. our son is 3 and she REFUSES to let the kid go pee on the toilet.  He has not seen her in a month and when we went over there for thanksgiving #2 she was so shocked he did not wet his clothes all day. Oh and the WTF look he gave when she handed him a sippy cup. Was a "I do not drink baby cups!" The boy has not used a sippy cup since he was 2...She is a nut. 

My son was that way too. he is 6 and my grandma tried to give him a sippy cup last time we were there and he actually said "Gigi, I'm a school ager, I dont need a lid anymore...." my grandma was maaaad when I didnt make him take it.... I told her she was the reason I almost needed braces at 12 (she encourages the bottle till 2-3 and sippys until like 9... we lived with her most of my childhood...)

Leobaby2007
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I'd be irate! He dare she? And, yes, at that age, it's not unusual to put on a little weight as a girl's body prepares for "womanhood". Totally normal, and often temporary. Besides, the LAST thing your DD needs is to be ridiculed by her own grandmother, and I use the word "grandmother" loosely in this case.

angry

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:33 AM
She is crazy! We cut her out of our lives for almost 3 years. Last Christmas we started talking to her again. She ruined it. She will not get anymore chances. The only reason I didn't knock her teeth out is because my children were right there.

Quoting Marja2011:

And she is not in the hospital why????? god your mil is a piece of work.

I hope your DD does not take anything she said to heart. If so I'll help post bail for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:34 AM
That just breaks me heart for your dd! Just reiterate to her that her grandma is the one with issues not her! You can also tell her that it is common to put on a little weight as her body changes which just means that she is right around the corner from taking on a womanly figure, which she should be excited about, not self conscious! I was always stick thin but developed later than most peers. My cousin however put on some weight at her age then the summer she turned 13 it just fell off and she turned into a beautiful teen! It was amazing how different and grown up she looked! I hope you are able to get through to her!

Quoting Anonymous:

Dd went to her room in tears. Her feelings were crushed and she kept saying "I'm so ugly". We talked about it and I basically told her that nana is just a bitch (i didn't use that word). Dh and I told her that she is absolutely beautiful and perfect the way she is. I don't know what to do to help her love herself. I want to get it under control now because there are always going to be critical assholes in this world.

Quoting bullemhead:

Wow. That's so harsh! Your poor daughter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM

She would rather change a diaper on a 45lb soon-to-be 4 year old. I mean you bring him to the toilet, pull down his pants and underwear, watch him pee. MAYBE help him aim by shifting his back but he pees, flushes and "makes bubbles". We made hand-washing a game. She buys him diapers. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What?nshe won't let your son use the bathroom or did I misunderstand that?

Quoting Anonymous:

mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:37 AM

That is so mean. My step mother licked on me about being heavy when I was about that age. She even went so far as to cut out slimfast coupons and wrap the in a box like a gift and put it under the christmas tree. I cried for an hour b4 I open anything else. She was so mean and everyone just laughed when she poked fun at me. She told me "stop crying and get used to it youll never be skinny". Well I have had 3 C-sections and am now 110 pounds and I buy my jeans in 2s and 12-14 in kids...I am very short so the fit better and I dont have to hem them. Tell your daughter that she is beautiful and not to worry about the hateful things people say...OMG I can believe her grandma said this...is it her real granma??/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM
How horrible! I can't stand people who are that superficial. If they ever developed weight issues I would teach them to make healthier food choices and exercise with them but it would be in a loving way. I would never be that critical of my kids or anyone else.

Quoting spooky415:

My stepmom is that way. She's kind of superficial and sometimes it seems like her priorities are out of whack. She used to be very critical of every bite I put in my mouth and was very controlling when it came to food. Once I ordered a coffee and she totay embarrassed me by saying ale sure it has SKIM milk and artificial sugar!' to the barista. I was like, 16...it was so embarrassing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN