Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to strangle that doctor...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
My gma is addicted to atavains and pain pills. She has been for YEARS. about six years ago her doctor got off all of her pills. But slowly over time just one prescription after another built back up and before you know it shes back on 20 diff pills.
This summer she just went kinda crazy. She was doing so such weird and goofy things and talking crazy. Grandpa and my parents spent two weeks trying to get her hospitalized. They finally got her admitted to st marys. And it went from bad to worse. Her voice was even different she was so bad. We really never thought she would come out of the hosp. They put her in a nursing home for about three months, then they decided she could go home. She was back to normal at this point. She remembered a lot of the off the wall things she did and said, but said they were dreams.
While in the hosp and nursing home the doctors took her off all her need again. Well as soon as she got out she went back to the pain clinic and her doctor and got right back on all her meds. Her doctor won't listen to gpa, and eveytime he tries to talk during gmas appts she kicks him out.
She just spent another week in the hosp. At thanksgiving last night she was so doped ul idk if she will even remember it.
Does this idiot not realize he is killing her?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I have a friend who abuses meds.  And the only thing I could do is sit back and watch her Dr. overmedicate her.  I really wanted to call the Dr. and tell him off.  But I did not.  I am just not dealing with her anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I'd get proof of how many times she's been off of the pills and report the Doctor. He is a pill pusher.

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Is she driving herself to these appointments? And if he is prescribing that many pills, you can report him. We had a pain clinic in my town shut down last year because the doctor was just prescribing pills to whomever wanted them and not actually treating the patient.

The other thing you can do is alert the pharmacy she gets her meds from. If she is "shopping" with her scripts that is (going to more than one pharmacy to get pills) And no, it's not a HIPAA violation either as the pharmacists are talking about the care of the same patient. 

Time to cut grandma off from going. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:52 AM
As long as she goes into a Dr who specializes in pain med and has tells him things to get the meds there its not the Dr. He is doing his job by listening to his patient & treating her pain to the best of his ability. I'm a nurse & I'm sorry that your grandmother abuses pain meds & ativan & numerous other meds but as long as she goes in & has the diagnosis & is in pain it is up to her to take her medication correctly. As her family you should be more concerned with why she continues to repeat the same things. Is it just an addiction or is there more going on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)