Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those who grew up Christian but no longer have Christian beliefs

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 22 Replies

I have decided I don't believe in the Christian faith anymore.  There are several reasons one being the hypocrisy of Christianity.  When my baby nephew was in the hospital my mom's church people were always there and some said some really inappropriate things like telling my sister if her and her bf would get married that God would save their baby.  When he was on life support they would say things like "we will see you Sunday in church with your baby".  I also think that being gay is okay.  I am not gay but I don't think people choose to be gay.  At first I really struggled with losing faith and my beliefs.  I don't know what to tell my kids when they ask me if I believe in God.  I usually just tell them they can decide but my sister (not the one who lost her baby)  pisses me off.  She tells my kids I am a bad person bc I know longer believe.  I am having to not let my kids around her and my mom as much bc they talk crap about me to my kids.  Anyway my question is did you struggle with that to tell your kids, and what did you tell them? 

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ffpm10
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Mines young enough that its not an issue yet, but I will let him attend church if he chooses, help him research religions, ect when and if he wants.
I pretty much don't believe for all the reasons you stated though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I've just always been honest with dd. I told her I don't know if god exists (I'm agnostic) but its perfectly ok if she wants to believe. My family was also ok with it and we didn't have many issues there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM
We try to educate them on all religious beliefs so that they can make an educated decision when the time comes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I didn't tell him a thing. Not his business what I believed or what I didn't. If he wanted to go to church, his dad was going or he could go with his paternal grandpa.

My question for you, after reading your post, is quite simple. What don't you believe in anymore? I also have to wonder if you are basing your belief on how others have acted. They were assholes and you will find them in every single religion and group on this planet ... terrorists for example, Westboro Baptist Church for another. 

You just need to tell your sister and your mom that if they are so shallow that they can't respect you, then they have no place in your or your children's lives. 

momofqtees
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

While I know and understand assholes are everywhere and not to stereotype those are just a few things I mentioned.  I just think my mom told me I had to believe when I was younger so even to early adulthood I did.  Now I feel like I can believe what I want to (regardless of what my mom thinks) religion is just not for me.  Honestly, it is possible that the way people I know have acted has had influence on my decision, however my logic is what really made me disbelieve.  You did bring up a good point though and I appreciate that.  have a nice weekend

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

I didn't tell him a thing. Not his business what I believed or what I didn't. If he wanted to go to church, his dad was going or he could go with his paternal grandpa.

My question for you, after reading your post, is quite simple. What don't you believe in anymore? I also have to wonder if you are basing your belief on how others have acted. They were assholes and you will find them in every single religion and group on this planet ... terrorists for example, Westboro Baptist Church for another. 

You just need to tell your sister and your mom that if they are so shallow that they can't respect you, then they have no place in your or your children's lives. 

atyou
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
God and religion are 2 seperate things.

Don't let organized religion destroy your faith.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Well I have been through the same as you OP. I had to take some time away from the church and other religious organizations to really find myself and my faith. I was brought up in the church. The hypocrisy is what eventually drove me from it. In the beginning I questioned god, but after reflecting on all that has happened in my life, I realized there really was a god and he does in fact love me. It's just "his people" who piss me off. They are not Christians but meer assholes who your him as a front for their assholieness. Eventually I was led to a Christian Unitarian Universalist  "Church". I like their ideas and principles. Most of us do not follow the exact same belief systems but the formidable principales are the same.

No to your situation with your sister. Lets not beat around te bush. SHES A BITCH! She does not represent the Christian faith and her actions are laughable. She does not follow god's principles.

If you're trying to raise your Children religiously neutral (as I am), you're in for a fight. I believe the only way one can be a true Christian is if they are given 100% neutrality from their peers. My DD should come to god willingly, not because that's what mommy and daddy believe.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

bascha
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM
My boys are teens, now. When they were about 5 or 6, they started asking why I don't go to church, because they went to church whenever they were with their grandparents. I told that I have different beliefs, because being Christian just didn't work for me. They understand that they will always have my approval to go out and explore other faiths. What's right for me won't necessarily be right for them.
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I went to a CHristian school from the ages of 10 to 15 and spent a good deal of my teen years in youth group. For awhile I did consider myself Christian, but I always felt different. It didn't feel right to me.

Eventually I followed my own feelings and beliefs and ended up realizing I am a Pagan!

At first I didn't tell my kids anything and my oldest two kids went to church with friends. One of them is now 21 and is a Pentecostal. The other bounces back and forth between Christianity and Pagnaism. He is 18. I told him he will eventually find the path that makes his soul sing, and he will now it is the right one for him.

Now with my younger kids (ages 13, 11, 6 and 4); they have been and are being raised as pagan, but know they can choose to study or follow any faith they want.

My 13 yr old is hard core Pagan. My 11 yr old isn't sure, and the younger ones just have fun singing songs about nature and the Goddess, and I really don't talk to them a lot about spirituality unless they ask.

When a cousin died, they did ask where she was now and we explained that the spirit and the body were two different things. I told them that her spirit had outgrown her body and so her body was being burried and would go back to Mother Earth.

We told them her spirit had gone on to other things. I told her that I belived that spirits were reborn in other bodies when they were ready to. I told them other people believed in a place called Heaven where spirits lived with their God. 

They accepted that and haven't asked anymore....

If you don't have a new spiritual belief system, you can just tell your kids, some people believe this or that but right now mommy isn't sure what she believes....

aimhawk
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I just don't share my beliefs with anyone. If they say something I find inaccurate I will state my opinion. As for my child she believes in God and everything else, granted she is only 5 but she has gone to Sunday with my SIL and my FIL talks to her about it. When she has questions she asks and we answer in a way that isn't harmful to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN