Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

See if I EVER lend you money again!!! UPDATE.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We stupidly loaned money to my BIL and his wife. They claimed that they had no money for food. They have a little boy (22 months) which is the only reason I agreed to lend them money. I didn't want the poor boy to have to suffer. We talked to them about being more responsible witht their money and told them this is the only time we will lend you money and you must pay it back. I would have rather had them come and work for us for the money but they live too far away. Anyways, they promised they would be more responsible, pay us back as soon as they could, etc. That was back in February. Yes, February. We have asked several times for the repayment. We don't need the money but feel that they should pay it back because that was the agreement. They keep claiming that they can't pay us yet because they don't have enough money. I get on Facebook this morning and see this status update from the wife.

"$463 dollars later and I am finished shopping for _____ (BIL)!!! He's going to love his Christmas gifts!"

They only owed us $150. As I said the amount is not what is bothering me. They made a promise to repay us and apparently are going to break that promise. I wouldn't be near as upset if that money had went toward bills or even their son's Christmas but for BIL, really?!? He is a grown man. Grrrrr!!!!! Vent over.

Yes, I know it was dumb to lend them the money and we are never doing it again. I am assuming they will never pay us back.

Update: Thanks for all the great advice! I didn't say anything to her or BIL about the money. We do $20 sibling gifts in DH's family. For the next eight years they will get a card saying "Merry Christmas! Instead of giving you a gift, we have decided to take $20 off of the debt you owe us!" We are hoping this will prove our point. No more money will be given to them. I would have just bought food for them instead of giving them money in the first place but they live in another state so that wasn't an option. I'll have to update again after Christmas and let you know what their reaction is! ;)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow :| 

Well it looks like that's that. I don't think you'll get the money back but now if they ever need money again, they won't be able to come to you!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be irritated too./

NCISfan2003
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM

That is terrible. I never lend money to people. I work hard for my money and expect others to do the same. My sister and her husband always ask me if they can borrow money and I sweetly say I don't have any. I do not get it, they make almost $2000 a month and I barely make $1000 but yet I always seem to have extra money to spend. I guess I am just better at managing my money.

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM
If you ask her I'm sure she said she used a credit card. Um then why not let YOU use their credit card for the amount they owe you? Dumb fucks
emptynesst
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM
You live and learn...and I have learned to NEVER loan money to anyone besides my kids...I am going through a similar situation right now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

you should absolutely post on her facebook feed "hey, since you are going overboard on gifts for a grown up man, how about that $150 we lent you back in February?"

roaches like to hide in the dark. shed some light.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I no longer lend money to anyone because of this reason. I did it in the past and was called a bitch for asking for it to be paid back. It's the fastest way to lose a friend.
Now, if I give something, I give it. If it's not something I'm comfortable giving and never being paid back for, I just don't give it in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joelsmom3
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Ugh! Yeah, I always hear people saying its never a good idea to loan family money because it will cause problems with the relationship. I guess I've gotten a little cynical about giving people money when they are having 'money' problems. We have lived in this small rural place almost my entire life...and my kids tease that I know everybody! I worked at a small family owned drug store for 20 years, and every so often a stranger would come by to see if they could borrow money. The pharmacist would ask what they needed the money for. For the most part, they would say they needed food. There just happened to be a grocery store a block away, and would walk over there with the person to 'buy' food. There were a few times where the person would get mad because they were probably wanting to spend the money on something else! My husband is a minister and most of the churches we have ministered has been to very small churches...like under 100 people at the morning service. A few years ago, we received a call from a lady saying they needed money for food and diapers and formula. I refused to give money, so we went to the grocery store and bought some essentials for her family. Over the next couple of days, we discovered that she had basically got the phone book and went down the list calling every church asking for different things. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I would take the to small claims court...they would have to pay you back and your legal and court fees.  If they don;t the courts will garnish their wages.  Tough way to learn a lesson but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you going to say anything?

I haven't decided yet. I have contemplated posting some smart ass comment on her status.

Hahaha that was my thought.

Something along the lines of, "Gee, I thought you didn't have the money to pay back that $150 I loaned you for FOOD."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)