Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

See if I EVER lend you money again!!! UPDATE.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We stupidly loaned money to my BIL and his wife. They claimed that they had no money for food. They have a little boy (22 months) which is the only reason I agreed to lend them money. I didn't want the poor boy to have to suffer. We talked to them about being more responsible witht their money and told them this is the only time we will lend you money and you must pay it back. I would have rather had them come and work for us for the money but they live too far away. Anyways, they promised they would be more responsible, pay us back as soon as they could, etc. That was back in February. Yes, February. We have asked several times for the repayment. We don't need the money but feel that they should pay it back because that was the agreement. They keep claiming that they can't pay us yet because they don't have enough money. I get on Facebook this morning and see this status update from the wife.

"$463 dollars later and I am finished shopping for _____ (BIL)!!! He's going to love his Christmas gifts!"

They only owed us $150. As I said the amount is not what is bothering me. They made a promise to repay us and apparently are going to break that promise. I wouldn't be near as upset if that money had went toward bills or even their son's Christmas but for BIL, really?!? He is a grown man. Grrrrr!!!!! Vent over.

Yes, I know it was dumb to lend them the money and we are never doing it again. I am assuming they will never pay us back.

Update: Thanks for all the great advice! I didn't say anything to her or BIL about the money. We do $20 sibling gifts in DH's family. For the next eight years they will get a card saying "Merry Christmas! Instead of giving you a gift, we have decided to take $20 off of the debt you owe us!" We are hoping this will prove our point. No more money will be given to them. I would have just bought food for them instead of giving them money in the first place but they live in another state so that wasn't an option. I'll have to update again after Christmas and let you know what their reaction is! ;)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Replies (41-50):
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Don't feel bad! I have a friend we loaned 3000 to last year because they were going to get thrown out of their house and so far we've gotten 2 bounced checks and 1 payment of 1000. And thisn was last November.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would at least ask her on FB where the $150 was that they borrowed from you to put food in the house.  Seriously, they have their priorities f*cked up and I wouldn't lend them any more money either.

Breamarkable
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
This. If he can't be personally accountable, make him publicly accountable.

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

I would be doing this as well...

Quoting Anonymous:

I would comment on that post saying, "Is one of those gifts paying us back the $150 you owe us for the time we bought you food for your family"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hp2011
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I hope you say something like "Tell your husband he's welcome for his gift!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

thats why i never borrow money to anyone ... EVER

jeannie39
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I would be pissed, too. I would call them TODAY and tell them that I saw the FB post. Even if I never got the money owed to me, at least they would know how I felt and that, had they paid the money back, you would have loaned them money in the future, now they are shit out of luck if they need help again. I'd tell them that even though I wouldn't have loaned them money again.

They will regret screwing you over because they know you will never help them again. You must be a better person than me cause SIL would carry an ass whipping for being so selfish, if she had anything nasty or rude to say. Buying gifts for anyone except their child,to me, is selfish and even then, you should have been paid first.

Personally, if I loan anyone money, I feel like I shouldn't ever have to ask for repayment. It should just be paid. If someone can't pay on time, they need to stay in touch with me and tell me whats up. If they hide out or something like that, thats when I get pissed. I usually won't ask for it, I just stop doing anything for them. Thats the best revenge.lol

Misheldonann
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Wow! I would be so mad!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JLS2388
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have commented on the status saying "good so you can pay us the $150 we lent you last Februar!".

kblossom20
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Wtf.... You need to say something. Seriously.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Don't stoop that low, it's not worth it.
I do not ever lend out money. I know I won't get it back anyways.
It's a sore lesson learned. It sucks, I know.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you going to say anything?

I haven't decided yet. I have contemplated posting some smart ass comment on her status.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)