Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why must people one up each other here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I've noticed when someone complains about someone like their child or even something they bought or their job someone must chime in and say something to the effect of well you should be grateful you have (fill in the blank) because I don't.

Really? How does a statement like that change the persons frustration? How does the help the person who most likely just needed to vent? Must you always be a downer? Is it just pure jealousy?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pnukey
by Jenn on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

PMS and lack of chocolate. While there are many supportive moms on this site (not necessarily this group) you know a lot of them are very hormonal at any given point, and that always makes for interesting posts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I don't think it's a one up thing. Maybe they're just trying to point out that other people have it much worse, be glad you're not one of them. You know?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Or they can realize people just need to vent even though they realize how lucky they are.

I'm ttc and have suffered a miscarriage. I don't go on posts where moms are bitching about their kids and tell them well you should be lucky because I don't have a kid. No instead I sympathize with them because I understand that you can still be frustrated while still knowing you have things pretty good.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's a one up thing. Maybe they're just trying to point out that other people have it much worse, be glad you're not one of them. You know?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I'm not saying that you're wrong. I get where you're coming from. I'm just saying that's one way of looking at it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Or they can realize people just need to vent even though they realize how lucky they are.

I'm ttc and have suffered a miscarriage. I don't go on posts where moms are bitching about their kids and tell them well you should be lucky because I don't have a kid. No instead I sympathize with them because I understand that you can still be frustrated while still knowing you have things pretty good.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I guess they want that person to look at things in a different perspective?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM
This and it's human nature.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess they want that person to look at things in a different perspective?

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

It doesn't. People just want to be bitches.

Just remeber this.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured