Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are ticking time bombs. It is in their DNA to be aggressive.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: would you ever own a pit and put your precious family at risk???

Options:

Not in a million years

NEVER

No way in hell

I'd rather masturbate with a kitchen knife than own a dangerous pit

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 119

View Results

I read the article titled "Beware of pit bull bias, handlers say" in the Seacoast Sunday paper. I think the well-meaning people who support pit bull ownership are completely off the mark when it comes to making comparisons to other types of dogs. Pit bulls are not the victims of discrimination, the real facts are hard to ignore.

Most notable among all facts is the following, which can be referenced at http://www.dogsbite.org/:

"From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 128 Americans, about one citizen every 20 days. Of these attacks, 51 percent (65) involved a family member and a household pit bull. In the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner — one was even an 'avid supporter' of Bad Rap, a recipient of Michael Vick's dogs."

No other species of domestic dog comes close to this number of human deaths.

I think it is a tremendous disservice to our community to promote the ownership of these animals. Man created them to be unpredictable, vicious and aggressive. Their DNA is altered and engineered with the intent to fight well. The problems with pit bulls are clearly defined and researched as genetic, not behavioral — and I challenge any owner to contact those who have lost a family member to understand how a dog, after many years of no visible signs of aggression, performed a surprise attack resulting in death or permanent disfigurement. It's a travesty that people would support pit bull ownership when hundreds have died. Why do we ignore facts as a measure of good manners?

I have a good neighbor who has two pit bulls. I know he loves them, but I dread the day anything happens with all the little kids riding bikes and walking home from school on our street ... what will we say when the right conditions put the dog into kill-mode? Golden retrievers are just are just as dangerous? She was just a bad apple? It was the owner's fault? The fact is you cannot say anything because words do not heal gaping wounds or bring people back.

Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are ticking time bombs. It is in their DNA to be aggressive. That is what they were bred to be. Just like Border collies were bred to herd or Greyhounds were bred to run. To say otherwise is putting your head in the sand and ignoring the facts

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Where is the reliable scientific article/source that backs your facts?

SaraLovesEli29
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not the dog. It is the owner. Any dog that is treated badly will turn around and attack its owner or anyone for that matter because that is what they will expect from any human around them. Child or not. This post is ignorant. It seriously does not matter what breed the dog is. Any dog can turn around and attack a child. Pit bull or not. I mean seriously, my DS was almost bit in the face by a freaking weenie dog for crying out loud!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diana1481
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I own 3 full blooded pits and 1 pit mix. They are amazing animals!!!
smalltowngal
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM
I had a bad experience with a Pitt bull while pregnant and now can't stand any dogs now. I wish dog owners in general would control their dogs more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Then don't own one. But stay the hell away from mine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quoting TattooedMomto4:

Love that your options are all negative. I own a Pit mix who is 5 years old.

Check the statitistics for small dogs....how many attacks that disfifure children happen every year? Yes, they don't kill small children because they are small dogs but small dogs are face level to small children and they go right for the face.

This is what a daschund did to my 22yo's face, those are scars on his left cheek from an attack that happened when he was 3 1/2 years old.

My chiweenie is becoming very aggresive.

We may have to rehome him because he's threatened by the 9mo. (we have had the dog for years).

We have to lock him away also because we are afraid he will do the same thing to the baby. We never had this concern with large breed dogs.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Here we go again....

Josie_P
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Exactly! Supposedly, it's the Chow Chow. My boss has the meanest little Chihuahua ever. That little shit. It tries to bite EVERYONE! And it growls and shows it's mean face and teeth. I want to kick it every time I see it lol.

Quoting wulfeyes05:

Quoting Anonymous:

The pit bull isn't even number one on the most aggressive list.

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a grade A moron.

LeiahAsh2012
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM
I'd love to have one.

My brother had 2 dogs, a pit and a chihuahua. His pit has never once growled at anyone. He lays on his big adorable butt most of the day begging for love. His chihuahua however had to be put down because it bit a chunk of his toe off while he was sleeping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN