Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are ticking time bombs. It is in their DNA to be aggressive.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: would you ever own a pit and put your precious family at risk???

Options:

Not in a million years

NEVER

No way in hell

I'd rather masturbate with a kitchen knife than own a dangerous pit

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 119

View Results

I read the article titled "Beware of pit bull bias, handlers say" in the Seacoast Sunday paper. I think the well-meaning people who support pit bull ownership are completely off the mark when it comes to making comparisons to other types of dogs. Pit bulls are not the victims of discrimination, the real facts are hard to ignore.

Most notable among all facts is the following, which can be referenced at http://www.dogsbite.org/:

"From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 128 Americans, about one citizen every 20 days. Of these attacks, 51 percent (65) involved a family member and a household pit bull. In the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner — one was even an 'avid supporter' of Bad Rap, a recipient of Michael Vick's dogs."

No other species of domestic dog comes close to this number of human deaths.

I think it is a tremendous disservice to our community to promote the ownership of these animals. Man created them to be unpredictable, vicious and aggressive. Their DNA is altered and engineered with the intent to fight well. The problems with pit bulls are clearly defined and researched as genetic, not behavioral — and I challenge any owner to contact those who have lost a family member to understand how a dog, after many years of no visible signs of aggression, performed a surprise attack resulting in death or permanent disfigurement. It's a travesty that people would support pit bull ownership when hundreds have died. Why do we ignore facts as a measure of good manners?

I have a good neighbor who has two pit bulls. I know he loves them, but I dread the day anything happens with all the little kids riding bikes and walking home from school on our street ... what will we say when the right conditions put the dog into kill-mode? Golden retrievers are just are just as dangerous? She was just a bad apple? It was the owner's fault? The fact is you cannot say anything because words do not heal gaping wounds or bring people back.

Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are ticking time bombs. It is in their DNA to be aggressive. That is what they were bred to be. Just like Border collies were bred to herd or Greyhounds were bred to run. To say otherwise is putting your head in the sand and ignoring the facts

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh, shut up.... You know nothing
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I don't give a shit about how they're raised. If I can't punt it, I don't want it.

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
you do know that the pit bull is nicknamed the Nanny dog. Their are very protective over their owners and especially protective and loving towards kid. Are there bad dogs in the breed yes, but that is every breed.

hell the scar on my face came from an ankle biting taco bell dog attacking me when I was a kid. the scar behind my ear is from a doberman pup. I have been attacked by more small breed dogs than large breeds. My mom has owned up to 5 pit bulls. None of them ever attacked a person or another animal.

Quoting NiCo86:

all pit lovers will say the same. but i agree with this. some digs are bred for hunting, some for herding, others for aggression. pit bulls are an aggressive breed dog, and i would never chance my child's safety for an animal!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malibucj
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Also in many "Aggressive Dog Lists" I have seen, the Dashund (sp?) usually ranks #1 followed by mostly small dogs.

SaraLovesEli29
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM
My son was almost bit in the face by a dachshund as well. And not to mention, the stupid dog wanted to fight with all the other dogs around him. It's not the dog. It's the owner. Smaller dogs are worse than bigger dogs any day of the week.

Quoting TattooedMomto4:

Love that your options are all negative. I own a Pit mix who is 5 years old.

She is our Jack Russel's bed, lol Seriously, Dani sleeps on Tella ALL of the time.

Tella is the BEST around small children, they can drag her and pull on her and she could care less. She has NEVER nipped or growled at ANY ONE and the ONLY time she barks is when she sees a squirrel in the front yard or a stranger comes up on the porch when I am home alone or at night.

All 5 of my dogs are great but the Yorkie is senile as hell so we have to make sure he is put up when my grandchildren are over because he will snap at everything around him. When he was younger he was great with children. Our Silkie and Pom/Yorkie are great with kids but they are WAY more yappy and high strung than the Pit/Lab mix who is REALLY laid back. Quite frankly Dachshunds are the breed that makes me nervous as my mom, me and my now 22yo son were all attacked by that breed when we were toddlers. And my husband, who is a mail carrier, has several full Pits and Pit mixes on his route and they are sweethearts. He was attacked 8 years ago while working, by 2 St. Bernard's. All breeds of dogs are ticking time bombs. People ask me all the time "do they bite". Do they? No. Could they? Of course, they have teeth.

Check the statitistics for small dogs....how many attacks that disfigure children happen every year? Yes, they don't kill small children because they are small dogs but small dogs are face level to small children and they go right for the face. This is what a daschund did to my 22yo's face, those are scars on his left cheek from an attack that happened when he was 3 1/2 years old. There are several others that are lighter and don't show up in the photo, towards the bottom of his face.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Where is the "I have a pit and she's cooler than your dog" option?
MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this

*Meet Duke*

He's a rescue - He was used for fighting - he has scars all over his bodies. He was rescued from his previous owners at 2 years old - he is now 4. For the frist two years of his life, he was trained to fight, to kill - and guess what - he has never EVER hurt anyone. I have a 7 year old dd, my sister has a 15 month old ds and my 2 cousins have 2 daughters each from age 7 to age 2 - So that 6 children, between 15 months old and 7 years old that he has been around - all at once, with them climbing over him, pulling his tail, sticking their fingers in his mouth, BITING HIS TAIL =- and not once, not one fucking time did he snap, growl or bark at any of them.

He chases food, his tail and his balls. Hes never hurt anyone, He is not agressive, in any way!

Some of you people are so stupid!

barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Too bad Pit Bulls used to also be Nanny dogs! Do some research they are not bad dogs. Actually the number one dog bite is a lab or retreiver. Just isn't plastered because all the bites are not noted because it is family dogs and the family LOVES their dog and doesn't want anything to happen to it. I have seen more labs that are aggressive than Pits and I am a Vet Tech. Worked at a small animal and also a large animal practice! It is all in how they are raised.

NiCo86
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
i honestly dont care. i refuse to have an animal in my home (small dogs included) in my home that need to be supervised around my children. it is a risk that i will not take! no cats either, because they are unpredictable and moody as well. if people want to take that risk, its their choice, but i refuse to be a statistic!

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

you do know that the pit bull is nicknamed the Nanny dog. Their are very protective over their owners and especially protective and loving towards kid. Are there bad dogs in the breed yes, but that is every breed.

hell the scar on my face came from an ankle biting taco bell dog attacking me when I was a kid. the scar behind my ear is from a doberman pup. I have been attacked by more small breed dogs than large breeds. My mom has owned up to 5 pit bulls. None of them ever attacked a person or another animal.

Quoting NiCo86:

all pit lovers will say the same. but i agree with this. some digs are bred for hunting, some for herding, others for aggression. pit bulls are an aggressive breed dog, and i would never chance my child's safety for an animal!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Is it?

Quoting KeriAZ:

Ignorance must be bliss.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured