Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are ticking time bombs. It is in their DNA to be aggressive.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: would you ever own a pit and put your precious family at risk???

Options:

Not in a million years

NEVER

No way in hell

I'd rather masturbate with a kitchen knife than own a dangerous pit

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 119

View Results

I read the article titled "Beware of pit bull bias, handlers say" in the Seacoast Sunday paper. I think the well-meaning people who support pit bull ownership are completely off the mark when it comes to making comparisons to other types of dogs. Pit bulls are not the victims of discrimination, the real facts are hard to ignore.

Most notable among all facts is the following, which can be referenced at http://www.dogsbite.org/:

"From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 128 Americans, about one citizen every 20 days. Of these attacks, 51 percent (65) involved a family member and a household pit bull. In the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner — one was even an 'avid supporter' of Bad Rap, a recipient of Michael Vick's dogs."

No other species of domestic dog comes close to this number of human deaths.

I think it is a tremendous disservice to our community to promote the ownership of these animals. Man created them to be unpredictable, vicious and aggressive. Their DNA is altered and engineered with the intent to fight well. The problems with pit bulls are clearly defined and researched as genetic, not behavioral — and I challenge any owner to contact those who have lost a family member to understand how a dog, after many years of no visible signs of aggression, performed a surprise attack resulting in death or permanent disfigurement. It's a travesty that people would support pit bull ownership when hundreds have died. Why do we ignore facts as a measure of good manners?

I have a good neighbor who has two pit bulls. I know he loves them, but I dread the day anything happens with all the little kids riding bikes and walking home from school on our street ... what will we say when the right conditions put the dog into kill-mode? Golden retrievers are just are just as dangerous? She was just a bad apple? It was the owner's fault? The fact is you cannot say anything because words do not heal gaping wounds or bring people back.

Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are ticking time bombs. It is in their DNA to be aggressive. That is what they were bred to be. Just like Border collies were bred to herd or Greyhounds were bred to run. To say otherwise is putting your head in the sand and ignoring the facts

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Replies (41-50):
wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Can't vote.....no hell to the yes option.

Twix.Leigh
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM
5 moms liked this
Well, its also human nature to destroy, humiliate, kill, demolish, belittle, any, nd everything and every one, and humans have the WORST entitlement issues. Humans destroy animals homes, lives, and well being EVERY SINGLE DAY, and do much more harm for Earth and its inhabitants INCLUDING OURSELVES, each day, then good. Guess we all need to be put down too. No exceptions, cause the hundreds of assholes that destroy outweigh the millions of good people. Makes sense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Quoting Josie_P:

I've got a sweet little chihuahua and she barks and does this little growl, but she never shows her teeth and she never bites. If she runs from someone I pick her up and her to them and she calms down because she has to deal with it. My mom had a chow/wolf mix when I was 2. She said he was one of the best dogs she ever had. He was like a nanny. Then we had a pit/lab mix who was the sweetest thing ever. The only time he acted aggressive was around my sister's dad because he knew that man was evil.
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Can I cuddle him? His story made me tear up.

Quoting MamatoKy:

*Meet Duke*

He's a rescue - He was used for fighting - he has scars all over his bodies. He was rescued from his previous owners at 2 years old - he is now 4. For the frist two years of his life, he was trained to fight, to kill - and guess what - he has never EVER hurt anyone. I have a 7 year old dd, my sister has a 15 month old ds and my 2 cousins have 2 daughters each from age 7 to age 2 - So that 6 children, between 15 months old and 7 years old that he has been around - all at once, with them climbing over him, pulling his tail, sticking their fingers in his mouth, BITING HIS TAIL =- and not once, not one fucking time did he snap, growl or bark at any of them.

He chases food, his tail and his balls. Hes never hurt anyone, He is not agressive, in any way!

Some of you people are so stupid!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

And again, as it was pointed out in the other asinine thread, even if the dog's "bred" to be vicious, it still has EVERYTHING to do with the humans who were breeding them to fight, even if it goes back X amount of generations.

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM
I know. The Pitt supporters keep citing the dangerous dog bites list. It's not the bites, it's the serious injuries and deaths that occur. Any dog can bite. The problem with Pitts is the way they latch on and won't let go. They are bred that way. It doesn't always matter how they are raised.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

you need to ask us how many of us have had tiny little effers like chiuauas bit us. mean little things..

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I wish I could like this 1000 times over.

Quoting randi1978:

And again, as it was pointed out in the other asinine thread, even if the dog's "bred" to be vicious, it still has EVERYTHING to do with the humans who were breeding them to fight, even if it goes back X amount of generations.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idee
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

wow, you believe everything you read?

I own some American Staffordshire Terriors, and they are always mistaken for pittbulls. So I know that it is how people react to a dog that matters. If you act like you hate a dog because you think it is a pitt bull you're most likely to treat it wrong and it will turn on you eventually. Just like any human would.

SaraLovesEli29
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM
He is so cute! :) I think Pitts are gorgeous!!

Quoting MamatoKy:

*Meet Duke*

He's a rescue - He was used for fighting - he has scars all over his bodies. He was rescued from his previous owners at 2 years old - he is now 4. For the frist two years of his life, he was trained to fight, to kill - and guess what - he has never EVER hurt anyone. I have a 7 year old dd, my sister has a 15 month old ds and my 2 cousins have 2 daughters each from age 7 to age 2 - So that 6 children, between 15 months old and 7 years old that he has been around - all at once, with them climbing over him, pulling his tail, sticking their fingers in his mouth, BITING HIS TAIL =- and not once, not one fucking time did he snap, growl or bark at any of them.

He chases food, his tail and his balls. Hes never hurt anyone, He is not agressive, in any way!

Some of you people are so stupid!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)