Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name for step parents?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM
  • 88 Replies
If you are a Strp Mom what do your step kids call you?

If your kids have a Step Dad or Step Mom what do they call them?

I am remarried and so is my ex so my oldest DS has a step mom and a step dad. Currently his calls my DH by his first name and he calls my Exs wife by her first name but with Miss in front of it.

DS has slipped and called my DH dad but he corrected himself. Granted the kid has also slept and called me Dad and my ex Mom. Kids get confused whether their parents are married or not.

Both my ex and I are having new babies with our new spouses.

Several people have asked me what DS is going to call DH once put new baby is here or if DS was ever going to call DH dad. I've always said that DS has a Dad that is in his life.

However a few people doesn't seem to think that it matters and that with us having a new baby DS should call DH some thing less formal than his name. Maybe not Dad but less formal so it's not confusing.

I have no idea what that would be. Honestly I would be pretty pissed if DS started calling my Exs wife Mom or even some varriation of mom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Your baby should call your dh dad since he is dad and ds should continue calling him by his name... That's how i did it growing up and that's how my sd did it
miss_lisa
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM
My step son calls me mommy Lisa and calls his step dad the same thing but with daddy and his first name. He picked the names when he was a lot younger.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My boys call their step dad by his first name.

My step daughter calls me Mommy...but that's because I adopted her, and have raised her since she was 8 months old.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Someone suggested that, but I don't thinkninwoold be happy with DS calling his step mom "mommy first name"

Quoting miss_lisa:

My step son calls me mommy Lisa and calls his step dad the same thing but with daddy and his first name. He picked the names when he was a lot younger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

My stepkids call me by my first name. They also call their stepfather by his first name. My husband and I have a baby together. The baby is now 6. When talking to him about me, my stepkids refer to me as Mommy.......For instance, "Do you know where Mommy is?" It's not confusing, even for the little one. He knows his siblings have a different mommy. They call her Mom and me by my name. It's always been that way for him so it's fine.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM
We will probably do this.

I just wanted to see what the norm was..

Quoting Anonymous:

Your baby should call your dh dad since he is dad and ds should continue calling him by his name... That's how i did it growing up and that's how my sd did it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Meh, it's not about what makes you happy. It's what your child is comfortable with. When SS is with us for a few weeks he usually ends up just calling me mom and the same happens at his moms house with his step dad. It's what he chooses to call us, if he wants to call me Lisa that's fine to. It's up to him.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Someone suggested that, but I don't thinkninwoold be happy with DS calling his step mom "mommy first name"

Quoting miss_lisa:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I don't have step parents, but my hubby does. He calls his step-mom by her name. His step-dad he used to call "dad" when his siblings were younger, but now he calls him by his name as well. Our kids call the step-grandparents "nan" and "pop", just like their other grandparents. 

nataliesmom2012
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I called my step parents by their first names and my SKs call me by my first name.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM
I call my stepdad Pops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured