Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking question of the day

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If your 16 year old son introduced a 16 year old girl who also happens to be a mom as his girlfriend, would you discourage the relationship?

What if the roles were reversed, and it was your daughter instead of your son?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Replies (11-13):
danie24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Quoting DixieL:

The more you discourage boys or girls on relationships or anything else they want to do, they more you will push them into doing it. In my opinion leave them alone and hopefully they will realize it's wrong before it's too late. If not, we all have to learn, and sometimes the hard way. I'm not talking about little kids or young teenagers.. I'm talking about older teenagers.

That's not always true. Some kids value their parents opinions.

Besides.. it shouldn't matter. If your kid is doing something (or considering doing something) that isn't healthy or smart, you should discourage it.

If my teen wanted to get drunk or snort cocaine I wouldn't say, "It's better to let them learn on their own. If I tell them not to do it, that will just push them into doing it".

Stupid way to think, in my opinion.

DixieL
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quoting danie24:

Quoting DixieL:

The more you discourage boys or girls on relationships or anything else they want to do, they more you will push them into doing it. In my opinion leave them alone and hopefully they will realize it's wrong before it's too late. If not, we all have to learn, and sometimes the hard way. I'm not talking about little kids or young teenagers.. I'm talking about older teenagers.

That's not always true. Some kids value their parents opinions.

Besides.. it shouldn't matter. If your kid is doing something (or considering doing something) that isn't healthy or smart, you should discourage it.

If my teen wanted to get drunk or snort cocaine I wouldn't say, "It's better to let them learn on their own. If I tell them not to do it, that will just push them into doing it".

Stupid way to think, in my opinion.

I wasn't talking about drinking or drugs. Thank God my son never wanted to try any of that. He is twenty seven and has never even wanted to try a drink. I was talking about relationships. I always did what my mom said, because when I was a kid, I was a mama's girl, and still am, if she were still alive. My sisters always did the opposite of what she said. So sorry, I don't believe I think Stupid.

NoahandEliza
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Well, I think I would only discourage it for the sake of the child. At 16, there's a very slim chance that the relationship would work out, and the kid doesn't need my son or daughter just dropping in and out of it's life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured