Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pediatricians...

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
Why do so many parents think their word is golden? Like everything hey say is completely safe and healthy? Do you know how many pediatricians are not up to date on the newest car seat recommendations? At my daughters 3 year well check, he told me that she can move up to a booster seat when she gets to 40lbs...the new recommendations are 2 years and 40lbs for REAR FACING! Why doesn't he recommend that instead of the minimums? Pediatricians don't know as much about children's safety, nutrition and growth patterns as they should and yet we follow heir advice like it could never be wrong. This is why people put stuff on the Internet. You don't know who is writing these blogs. They could be parents, dietitians, pediatricians, lactation consultants or any combinations there of. Maybe we should be reading these things and then making decisions instead of just doin whatever our peds say. They say there is an increased risk of eczema with babies who start rice cereal early. My mom started me on it and I have eczema. I gave it to my daughter because my mom gave it to me and she said it was fine(this was before I found the research) and my DD now has skin problems with eczema. It may be genetic or it may be caused by the cereal. I don't know. I won't be giving my boys any cereal, so we'll see what happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
secondboy2012
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I do my own research before doing anything a doctor recommends. All people should in my opinion.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I do a bit of both. I take what they say, research it, and if I have questions I'll call and ask for a meeting.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

mich.el.le
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I research everything before doing it, but I also purposely found a pediatrician whose views lined up well with my own so that I can trust their advice more than that of a ped I don't know.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Mine is awesome.
He gives recommendations but he also encourages you to research it.
And most of what he tells me that I do research as been spot on with everything out there and along the same lines as second opinions.
However, I will take my peds advice over some random person on the internet writing a blog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I do to. I ask my son's doctor for his opinion and then I do my own research and talk to my husband and we make a decision we feel is right. I never just go with something because the doctor recomends it. I certainly would never ask him about car seat safety! Btw, the recomendation for rear facing is 2 years and 30 pounds, not 40.

Quoting secondboy2012:

I do my own research before doing anything a doctor recommends. All people should in my opinion.

mommy425906
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Is this a spinoff of the no cereal post? I don't blindly follow everything our ped says. But I also don't jump on the bandwagon of the first, or even second, blog I read online about something.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Even so, she's only 37 pounds, so that's barely above the new recommendations and he's ready to put her in a booster. Why don't all peds tell their patients about the new recommendations instead of just the minimums? Parents shouldn't be the only ones who want kids to be safe

Quoting Anonymous:

I do to. I ask my son's doctor for his opinion and then I do my own research and talk to my husband and we make a decision we feel is right. I never just go with something because the doctor recomends it. I certainly would never ask him about car seat safety! Btw, the recomendation for rear facing is 2 years and 30 pounds, not 40.

Quoting secondboy2012:

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM
My pediatrician is up to date and I still turn my children around at one year. My pediatrician gives me the pros and cons of everything and makes sure that I am set on and choice I make. My oldest has eczema and my youngest doesn't even though I started them on rice cereal at the same age.
Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Not necessarily the cereal post. It's everything. Parents turning their kids at 1 and 20 because their ped said they could, feeding cereal because they said to, getting shots, starting meds, vitamin d supplements for bf babies, telling parents to move to formula because they aren gaining quick enough on breastmilk...the list goes on and the facts are that peds generally don't know much about breastfeeding, carseat recommendations, vitamin d comes from sunlight, a lot of things. It seems like with a lot of moms on here, their peds say jump and hey say how high. I know you should trust your ped but a lot of times they aren't up to date on recent research and recommendations.

Quoting mommy425906:

Is this a spinoff of the no cereal post? I don't blindly follow everything our ped says. But I also don't jump on the bandwagon of the first, or even second, blog I read online about something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I agree, its crazy. Doctors haven't had any training car seats but they still give out advice like they know what they are talking about! I was at the ER with my son about a month ago and the doctor had given me the discharge forms to sign. He gave me a quick rundown of them because the ones they are using are new and I had to sign one saying I know California law states kid's under 6 leave the ER in a car seat or a booster. I told him that law changed to age 8 almost a year ago. He had no idea! I saw him on a computer as I walked out so I wonder if he was looking it up.

Quoting Salsacookies:

Even so, she's only 37 pounds, so that's barely above the new recommendations and he's ready to put her in a booster. Why don't all peds tell their patients about the new recommendations instead of just the minimums? Parents shouldn't be the only ones who want kids to be safe

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)