Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

White privilege -- if you are white are you aware it exists? If you are not white are you aware it exits?

Are you aware of the reality which has been labeled 'white privilege'?

(it takes 2 seconds to find out what 'white privilege' is (google is our friend) ---- it takes a lot longer to accept it exists --- whether an indiviual accepts it or not does not change the fact it DOES exist).

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm white. I am not sure what you mean by white privilige. I do know that my area is mostly white and I feel that blacks have a harder time living here because of the ignorance of most of the people in this area

Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I'm white and no, I've never witnessed "white privileges"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

A good example of the idea of white priviledge was shown during this past election.  When people complain that the white establishment is no longer the majority, when white people are still the majority, is a sign of white priviledge. The idea that white people only have most of the power but should still have all the power, is part of the white priviledge mentality.  Not all white people feel this way. Let me repeat not all white people feel this way. But to say that this mentality does not exist in our country would be a lie.

Mentality of a select few, does not equal privilege to an entire race as a whole.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this

We are all just human. Stop labeling everything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM
10 moms liked this

Now a days its actually people that aren't white that get more privileges.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I'm white and it hasn't left me very privileged.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this

im aware that it exists and i know what it means. i just dont agree that it exisits the way it used to and i believe that it will be non-existant very soon. white people are quickly becoming the minority in this country, the latino population and the black population are quickly becoming the majority,so are the middle easterns and asians.i think that it will be like the black and latino privilage very soon.  most blacks wont be able to blame the whites much longer for so called " keeping them down" and the same for the latinos.

SlightlyPerfect
5 nominations, and my answer is still no.
Yesterday at 9:03 AM
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM
4 moms liked this

I didn't think it existed either, but I'll give you as close as i can to an example:

I was watching WWYD one night with DH, and they were doing a race story. One young white kid was trying to take a chain off of a bike. The actor was supposed to make it look like a theft. In that time, maybe 3 people came up to him over the span of 2 hours. Then they flipped it and used a young black actor. Over 10 people came up to him over the course of a half hour! It was nuts.

And that's when it hit me: I've been harboring a prejudice like that without even realizing it. Because watching that show made me realize that, yes, that black kid "looked" like a thief to me. I don't consider myself racist at all, but that sort of disconnect the show created brought that latent prejudice to light. It was really disconcerting to me.

So I can imagine now that white privilege exists. I've never been looked at oddly for a job interview or college application, you know? I've never been considered a thief. Basically, I've never been confronted with that kind of initial prejudice that has nothing to do with me as a person but rather how I look.

My "looks" have never been portrayed negatively in the media. My "looks" have never been associated with a specific culture or class or level of education. Yet if I, the most unbiased person I know, can harbor that sort of prejudice without knowing it, I am pretty sure other people got it a whole lot worse. And I think that prejudice is the basis for white privilege. White people just don't have the same connotations and assumptions associated with their skin color as black people do (and Hispanics for that matter). Yeah, it's changing, but it's still there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Since you claim it to be a reality, please cite specific and relevant examples of occurrences in society today.

slightlyperfect

spicy_n_sweet
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

A good example of the idea of white priviledge was shown during this past election.  When people complain that the white establishment is no longer the majority, when white people are still the majority, is a sign of white priviledge. The idea that white people only have most of the power but should still have all the power, is part of the white priviledge mentality.  Not all white people feel this way. Let me repeat not all white people feel this way. But to say that this mentality does not exist in our country would be a lie.

Mentality of a select few, does not equal privilege to an entire race as a whole.

Which I believe I stated twice that not all white people feel that way. However, to deny that the idea of "white privilege" does exist on some levels in this country is disingenuous. It does. It is openly displayed by some very publicly. If as few are willing to express it openly and adamantly in some ways,  to say that there are those who feel the same way who do not express it so openly would also be disingenuous.

If something exist  even on a small scale, it still exist.

priincessz
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM
This makes no sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)