Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

White privilege -- if you are white are you aware it exists? If you are not white are you aware it exits?

Are you aware of the reality which has been labeled 'white privilege'?

(it takes 2 seconds to find out what 'white privilege' is (google is our friend) ---- it takes a lot longer to accept it exists --- whether an indiviual accepts it or not does not change the fact it DOES exist).

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Replies (431-440):
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Another example of white privilege.

Sadly, the color of your skin has a lot to do with it. I know black men that dress nicely, and are still stared at like they're going to steal something, when they're not. I know black men that dress nicely that are still looked at as thugs, deadbeat fathers, prison scum, and many other stereotypes and prejudices associated with black men.

SPs point was that many people have an underlying prejudice and they don't realize it. Another point that she made was that she, as a white person, as never had to face these negative prejudices on such a large scale.

There is a such thing as "white color crime."

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it largely depends on how the people are dressed. If you put a well-groomed black or white man in a power suit with a brief case and have him disassemble the whole freaking bike no one will assume anything wrong is going on. Likewise, if you put a scruffy, bearded fellow of either race in a dark hoodie with the hood up over his head and jeans falling off his ass no one will come up to him because they are scared of him, lol.

I don't think it has much to do with the color of your skin, it is more about how you carry yourself and how you dress. If you dress "tough" then you are going to be judged as such at first glance. If you dress in business formal wear you will be judged to be a business man and not a threat.

Really, when is the last time someone was mugged by a man in a nice business suit and dress shoes? I've only been mugged by people wearing "thug" clothes. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I didn't think it existed either, but I'll give you as close as i can to an example:

I was watching WWYD one night with DH, and they were doing a race story. One young white kid was trying to take a chain off of a bike. The actor was supposed to make it look like a theft. In that time, maybe 3 people came up to him over the span of 2 hours. Then they flipped it and used a young black actor. Over 10 people came up to him over the course of a half hour! It was nuts.

And that's when it hit me: I've been harboring a prejudice like that without even realizing it. Because watching that show made me realize that, yes, that black kid "looked" like a thief to me. I don't consider myself racist at all, but that sort of disconnect the show created brought that latent prejudice to light. It was really disconcerting to me.

So I can imagine now that white privilege exists. I've never been looked at oddly for a job interview or college application, you know? I've never been considered a thief. Basically, I've never been confronted with that kind of initial prejudice that has nothing to do with me as a person but rather how I look.

My "looks" have never been portrayed negatively in the media. My "looks" have never been associated with a specific culture or class or level of education. Yet if I, the most unbiased person I know, can harbor that sort of prejudice without knowing it, I am pretty sure other people got it a whole lot worse. And I think that prejudice is the basis for white privilege. White people just don't have the same connotations and assumptions associated with their skin color as black people do (and Hispanics for that matter). Yeah, it's changing, but it's still there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Since you claim it to be a reality, please cite specific and relevant examples of occurrences in society today.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh and you can find ANYTHING on google....even unicorns!

Can you find the existence of and deep studies about unicorns in peer reviewed academic journals?  

AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM
I agree.

I have seen many episodes of WWYD? that prove its existence. The ignorance in this post really isn't surprising though.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting AdellesMom:

I'm not white and I'm aware that it exists.

White people that aren't aware of "white privilege" prove its existence.

I really shouldn't be surprised --- it is practically included in the definition that it is mostly invisible to people who are white.

And, studies have mirrored the reaction this post has gotten in people giving their personal experiences that apparently 'proves' there is no such thing -- they get defensive --- they feel attacked -- rather than look into it and think it isn't about t.v. channels or scholarships 'just' for minorities.  People don't feel any obvious, blatant, in-your-face 'privilege' so they say it doesn't exist (though whiteness is completely embedded in our society -- they only notice the things that go AGAINST THE NORM (like Black History Month)......FORGETTING that pretty much every history book they opened in school was 'white history' (oh, except for the chapter on slavery and the civil war.....maybe Martin Luther King Jr.).  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Entitlement has very little to do with white privilege.

Quoting Anonymous:

In my city it is the blacks who think they are entitled to everything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Just because its "illegal" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Of course, most can learn to speak Spanish, but shouldn't have to so we can get a job in San Diego.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm white and have had a very hard time finding a job in San Diego. If you don't speak Spanish, the person who does will get the job. If they have to fill their minority spots, they get the job. I've worked with HR 3 times, I know how it works.

White people can't learn to speak Spanish?  I wasn't aware of that.

It is illegal to have 'quotas' to 'fill minority spots'.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 65 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I think blacks, hispanics, and other nationalities get more privileges than whites. Black history month, hispanic history month, BET... Etc. Black scholarships, hispanic scholorships...chinese scholarships.. The list goes on and on... What do white people have? Nada zip ziltch...nothing. Why? Because to create something like that for white people is racisim. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. You just keep being stupid.. Must be a wonderful world you live in.
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I'm straight and I'm 100% aware of its existence!

Quoting wkukid:

I now want to make a post called straight privilege...do you know it exists?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Your comment is ignorant. You do realize that white people are the majority, right? I mean, the reason that racial minority scholarships were introduced and brought about is because that racial minority wasn't getting any kind of aid for school.

JSYK: There's a such thing as "Italian History Month," "Irish History Month," etc.

Also, your reply proves the existence of white privilege.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think blacks, hispanics, and other nationalities get more privileges than whites. Black history month, hispanic history month, BET... Etc. Black scholarships, hispanic scholorships...chinese scholarships.. The list goes on and on... What do white people have? Nada zip ziltch...nothing. Why? Because to create something like that for white people is racisim. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. You just keep being stupid.. Must be a wonderful world you live in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I know that if I lived in an area with a large Spanish-speaking population - and that learning Spanish would increase my human capital - I would learn Spanish.  The simple fact you think that people 'shouldn't have to' learn a different language is an example of white privilege.  Why should you have to go against the 'norm' of speaking English?  That just isn't fair?  (Yet, expecting others to learn English IS fair?  Why?) --- Also, while some companies may have goals to increase their ethnic, cultural and racial diversity in their workforce can be difficult when laws require "no discrimination" (remember, Affirmative Action was created to encourage NO discrimination ---- up until it was enacted, minorities and those from other cultures were discriminated against).  You're right -- while it is illegal to have minority 'quotas' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Just like the fact it is illegal to not hire someone simply based on being black, or middle eastern, or native american  - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because its "illegal" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Of course, most can learn to speak Spanish, but shouldn't have to so we can get a job in San Diego.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm white and have had a very hard time finding a job in San Diego. If you don't speak Spanish, the person who does will get the job. If they have to fill their minority spots, they get the job. I've worked with HR 3 times, I know how it works.

White people can't learn to speak Spanish?  I wasn't aware of that.

It is illegal to have 'quotas' to 'fill minority spots'.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 66 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM
White privilege? Is this why blacks and hispanics have it so much easier to get everything? Jobs? College degrees? College paid for? Welfare? Yeah, white privilege, you're funny.

Just to note, I'm only speaking for what I've seen first hand where I live, and yes, everything I stated, is easier for anyone of color to obtain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)