Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

White privilege -- if you are white are you aware it exists? If you are not white are you aware it exits?

Are you aware of the reality which has been labeled 'white privilege'?

(it takes 2 seconds to find out what 'white privilege' is (google is our friend) ---- it takes a lot longer to accept it exists --- whether an indiviual accepts it or not does not change the fact it DOES exist).

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Replies (451-460):
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Cus you know... everything you read on google is true.

If you're smart enough to search for reputable sources, you can find a whole lot of things that are true in practically no time at all.  The reason I mentioned that in my post was b/c so many were like "huh?  what's that?"  -- and then there were people who inaccurately compared it to the idea of racist white supremacy or something and got all defensive and started spouting off about how 'we whites' have it so bad now....and all the minorites get everything.  Yep -- white privilege exists.  After posting this - any doubt I may have had is now gone!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 66 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Your talking about somthing that happened how long ago? We've become a bit more civilized than that. And no, I don't think white privilege is "alive and well". You seem to have disregarded the rest of my comment and plucked out the "easy part" to tear apart.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

English is not 'our' language.  If you ask me, we should all speal Oglala Sioux if we're going to talk about a native language.  We came to THEIR country --- why didn't we learn THEIR language?  White privilege is certainly alive and well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it "fair" that illegals are being allowed into america left and right and being catered to? You go to another country, you learn that country's language, there is no reason they should have to learn yours. If I go to mexico, I'll learn spanish. If I go to italy, I'll learn italian. But if you come to america? Fuck it! We'll bend over and learn YOUR LANGUAGE. That, is bullshit.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I know that if I lived in an area with a large Spanish-speaking population - and that learning Spanish would increase my human capital - I would learn Spanish.  The simple fact you think that people 'shouldn't have to' learn a different language is an example of white privilege.  Why should you have to go against the 'norm' of speaking English?  That just isn't fair?  (Yet, expecting others to learn English IS fair?  Why?) --- Also, while some companies may have goals to increase their ethnic, cultural and racial diversity in their workforce can be difficult when laws require "no discrimination" (remember, Affirmative Action was created to encourage NO discrimination ---- up until it was enacted, minorities and those from other cultures were discriminated against).  You're right -- while it is illegal to have minority 'quotas' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Just like the fact it is illegal to not hire someone simply based on being black, or middle eastern, or native american  - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because its "illegal" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Of course, most can learn to speak Spanish, but shouldn't have to so we can get a job in San Diego.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm white and have had a very hard time finding a job in San Diego. If you don't speak Spanish, the person who does will get the job. If they have to fill their minority spots, they get the job. I've worked with HR 3 times, I know how it works.

White people can't learn to speak Spanish?  I wasn't aware of that.

It is illegal to have 'quotas' to 'fill minority spots'.   

AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM
White people are a MAJORITY in America. They make up about 72% of America's population.

Quoting wooly:

OMG, is today going to turn in to a Race Day?? First i read ANAL SEX is a black thing and now this? No, I have no idea of a white priviledgedand in todays world i really think the idea of it is bullshit in the US we're not even in the Majority anymore, we're a minority!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Just to clarify -- "Affirmative action is not a quota system, which would be illegal in the United States. The only exception is when a judge orders a quota on a company that has been found guilty of extreme or blatant discrimination in employment. "

And, finding them guilty would most likely mean that there were many minorities who were more qualified who were passed up for a white person who was less qualified.

Quoting AdellesMom:

That's not "special treatment." That represents a company that has to fill their "quota." The fact that you think that a white person should automatically get the job proves the existence of white privilege.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you aware that minority priviledge exists?

I've known many whites to be passed up for jobs & given to a minority; either same experience & schooling or the white person was actually more qualified than the minority.

Special treatment happens on ALL sides.

AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
That's not a privilege. That black person would disagree with you. The fact that they have to have a certain number of blacks at their company is sad, and it's not a privilege.

I do know how to read. Maybe you should watch the way you come off. It's all in your delivery.

Quoting Anonymous:

Um how did you get that I feel a white person should automatically get the job? Yeah didn't even imply that.

Learn to read. When a white person is passed over when they are more qualified and the job is given to a minority less qualified, that is a privilege as far as I'm concerned.

Quoting AdellesMom:

That's not "special treatment." That represents a company that has to fill their "quota." The fact that you think that a white person should automatically get the job proves the existence of white privilege.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've known many whites to be passed up for jobs & given to a minority; either same experience & schooling or the white person was actually more qualified than the minority.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Yeah, I know. I was using a little pun. I guess I failed.

Lol

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Just to clarify -- "Affirmative action is not a quota system, which would be illegal in the United States. The only exception is when a judge orders a quota on a company that has been found guilty of extreme or blatant discrimination in employment. "

And, finding them guilty would most likely mean that there were many minorities who were more qualified who were passed up for a white person who was less qualified.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marabie
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Coming from somebody that abbreviates "because".

Quoting Anonymous:

Cus you know... everything you read on google is true.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 68 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You mean the "privilege" of dealing with things like affirmative action and scholarships that help minorities only while hearing the same minorities complain that they have less opportunities then white people? I have a nice home and nice things but that is because I worked hard for them, not because someone handed me stuff because of my color.

marabie
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

http://husky1.stmarys.ca/~evanderveen/wvdv/race_relations/white_privilege.htm

This is a legitmate quiz that is used in racial awareness training.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

More civilized is requiring those from other countries to learn a language that isn't even 'official'?  I think it would certainly be much easier for people to get by living in America if they learned English...but I'm not going to get upset with a company or business for requiring their employees to be bi-lingual if a large base of their customers speak a different language.  Businesses do what they have to do to meet their customers needs.  Apparently, some think the customers need to meet the needs of the company/business instead.

I'm not going to get into illegal immigration because frankly I don't know that much about it enough to have a strong opinion about it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Your talking about somthing that happened how long ago? We've become a bit more civilized than that. And no, I don't think white privilege is "alive and well". You seem to have disregarded the rest of my comment and plucked out the "easy part" to tear apart.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

English is not 'our' language.  If you ask me, we should all speal Oglala Sioux if we're going to talk about a native language.  We came to THEIR country --- why didn't we learn THEIR language?  White privilege is certainly alive and well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it "fair" that illegals are being allowed into america left and right and being catered to? You go to another country, you learn that country's language, there is no reason they should have to learn yours. If I go to mexico, I'll learn spanish. If I go to italy, I'll learn italian. But if you come to america? Fuck it! We'll bend over and learn YOUR LANGUAGE. That, is bullshit.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I know that if I lived in an area with a large Spanish-speaking population - and that learning Spanish would increase my human capital - I would learn Spanish.  The simple fact you think that people 'shouldn't have to' learn a different language is an example of white privilege.  Why should you have to go against the 'norm' of speaking English?  That just isn't fair?  (Yet, expecting others to learn English IS fair?  Why?) --- Also, while some companies may have goals to increase their ethnic, cultural and racial diversity in their workforce can be difficult when laws require "no discrimination" (remember, Affirmative Action was created to encourage NO discrimination ---- up until it was enacted, minorities and those from other cultures were discriminated against).  You're right -- while it is illegal to have minority 'quotas' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Just like the fact it is illegal to not hire someone simply based on being black, or middle eastern, or native american  - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because its "illegal" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Of course, most can learn to speak Spanish, but shouldn't have to so we can get a job in San Diego.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm white and have had a very hard time finding a job in San Diego. If you don't speak Spanish, the person who does will get the job. If they have to fill their minority spots, they get the job. I've worked with HR 3 times, I know how it works.

White people can't learn to speak Spanish?  I wasn't aware of that.

It is illegal to have 'quotas' to 'fill minority spots'.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)