Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those against weed.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Where do you stand on taking pain killers while caring for a child? Say, a woman has been in a serious car accident and is in excrutiating pain and prescribed oxycontin. Does she need to find someone to watch her kids for her if she'll be taking drugs?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jace1028
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Anything that effects your ability to properly care for your children should not be done around them. Period.

But.... People are selfish so it really is no use trying to explain because even if its obvious, selfish people will make excuses and continue to do what they want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Vic even a low dose makes you higher than weed. I know. I take both daily. Vic for my chronic pain and weed cuz of my anxiety.

Quoting Anonymous:

I take vicodin some days because my pain is so bad I can't function. My dose is lower. Enough to lower my pain levels so I can function but I'm not stoned.

Imo if it is prescribed and taken at a dosage that isn't completely altering then yes its acceptable. You are under the care of a physican while taking it. Marijuana you aren't.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM
I really can't answer that. I have been prescribed pretty strong pain meds, and they didn't affect me at all. No pain relief, and they never altered my frame of mind or even made me sleepy. So while I can say *I* would be fine watching my kids, I have no idea if the next person might react to the same medication.
Blessedlife79
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yes. I was prescribed Oxycontin after surgery a few months ago...I had noone to watch my girls and my husband had to go back to work...I had to suck up the pain b/c the pills made me loopy/sleepy and I couldnt take care of them like that.

momma0ffive
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM
i'm not against weed, but I refuse to take pain killers if I had to, if I was the only adult available.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcclainprincess
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

If that's the case then I should have had someone take my newborn.. I was high on percocet watching him all by myself after a csection..  

Weed btw is awesome..  =)  Although like all mind altering drugs.. it should be used responsibly. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Vicodin, even a higher dose, doesn't make me high. At all. I function completely normally on it. Weed on the other hand, forget it. I would be a complete loser and would never get anything done. Plus I would gain an insane amt of weight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Vic even a low dose makes you higher than weed. I know. I take both daily. Vic for my chronic pain and weed cuz of my anxiety.

Quoting Anonymous:

I take vicodin some days because my pain is so bad I can't function. My dose is lower. Enough to lower my pain levels so I can function but I'm not stoned.

Imo if it is prescribed and taken at a dosage that isn't completely altering then yes its acceptable. You are under the care of a physican while taking it. Marijuana you aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

So you're saying that because it's prescribed, it's safe? A single oxycontin will knock me clean off my feet, and a good dose of nyquil will put anyone to sleep. Not only that, but aspertame will give you cancer and certain types of medication could paralyse you. But because marijuana, with no permanant side effects, is illegal, you think it's more dangerous to use?

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I'm against weed in my home. But that is because I am extraordinarily allergic to it. I throw up, have cold sweats and shake uncontrollably when exposed to the smoke or the actual plant parts. A few years ago, my son did not believe me when I told him I was allergic and tried to sneak it (he was over eighteen), but when he saw me sick for days on end (three days) after I did his laundry (there was no odor to tip me off because he had 'aired out' his clothes), he confessed.

I don't care what people do in their own homes. The smoke really bothers me, though if someone is smoking it outside and I pass by (like in a parking lot or something like that) and I end up throwing up for about two hours just from smelling it. It might be that the smoke scent makes me sick because I associate it with the actual allergic reaction, but either way, I avoid it altogether.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM

oxycontin, i misspelled previously oops, lol. Yea that seems pretty hypocritical. I keep it simple, keep a clear head while taking care of kids, you know. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

yea, i think so, oxytocin would not put her in the safest frame of mind to watch children.  I have no idea what that has to do with not liking weed though??

not liking it. Being against it. I'm always blown away by the amount of people who think it's perfectly acceptable to care for children under the influence of hardcore painkillers, yet critisize a woman who smokes weed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)