Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those against weed.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Where do you stand on taking pain killers while caring for a child? Say, a woman has been in a serious car accident and is in excrutiating pain and prescribed oxycontin. Does she need to find someone to watch her kids for her if she'll be taking drugs?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The amount needed to be medically considered in an altered mindset is different. Most people don't consume enough caffiene at one time to be considered high from a medical standpoint, but narcotics generally do it at low doses. This is particularly true of narcotics as the body adjusts to the dosing. 

Plus I personally have a phobia of medication so pulling the "but you take blah blah blah and still care for children" doesn't work on me. I'm 100% clean of mind all the time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting firespurity:

Yes she should. Particularly during the adjustion period which can take several weeks. Narcotics alter the mind and aren't exactly safe.

Prescriptions medications alter the mind. So does caffeine. 

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I'm sorry but anything I drink or if I take prescriptions, I'm in a perfect state of mind to take care of my child. I was on meds leaving the hospital. Then again, I have a high tolerance. I'm drinking wine with my family putting up the ornaments and we are having a blast. My family is fun. I'm not against weed. I used to smoke before having a child. I know what it feels like. It's nothing. If it were legal, I would do it on occasion. Maybe a couple times a year :P I wouldn't want to be high all the time, just like I wouldn't want to be drunk all the time. I do feel if you need to get high daily or multiple times a day.... it's a problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Yes if you are taking any type of medicine or drug that alters your mind then you need to have someone watch your child(ren)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I understand when someone will not take any pain meds, and never drink when they are caring for their kids, and are also against weed. That, I completely understand. It's when someone is okay with the former and wildly against the latter that I have a hard time comprehending.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

I will not take pain pills when I am the only adult (I have hardly ever had them prescribed to me).

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Most prescription painkillers, some prescription muscle relaxants, mead, apple cider, most root beers, some ales, some soy sauces and some grenadine syrups. 

I never went to have it tested, I just get the same reaction, from consuming them, so I avoid them as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's really unfortunate. I wonder what it is in the chemical make up of the plant that you're allergic to? Are you allergic to anything else?

Quoting Sanctimommy:

I'm against weed in my home. But that is because I am extraordinarily allergic to it. I throw up, have cold sweats and shake uncontrollably when exposed to the smoke or the actual plant parts. A few years ago, my son did not believe me when I told him I was allergic and tried to sneak it (he was over eighteen), but when he saw me sick for days on end (three days) after I did his laundry (there was no odor to tip me off because he had 'aired out' his clothes), he confessed.

I don't care what people do in their own homes. The smoke really bothers me, though if someone is smoking it outside and I pass by (like in a parking lot or something like that) and I end up throwing up for about two hours just from smelling it. It might be that the smoke scent makes me sick because I associate it with the actual allergic reaction, but either way, I avoid it altogether.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes if you are taking any type of medicine or drug that alters your mind then you need to have someone watch your child(ren)

What about caffeine? That alters your mind. Lacking in sleep also alters your mind. In my experience, sleep deprevation affects me a lot more negatively than smoking weed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you so dumb that you can't figure out the answers you'll get to this?

I'm not dumb, I'm actually quite intellegent. I was curious what answers I would get, and I have gotten a variety of them. I enjoy a good debate. You seem to enjoy moving your fingers for no particular reason.

I think that was one of the strangest attempts at an insult I've ever received. lol  This post has been done so many times before.  If you were sooo intelligent, you'd type in that little search bar and look up old posts just like this, so you could see the exact same answers you're getting right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Wow, that really sucks, I'm sorry :( 

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Most prescription painkillers, some prescription muscle relaxants, mead, apple cider, most root beers, some ales, some soy sauces and some grenadine syrups. 

I never went to have it tested, I just get the same reaction, from consuming them, so I avoid them as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM
It has a totally different effect on me. I hope on not a loser in your eyes since I smoke it. I get everything done..my house is clean. I have a job.

Quoting Anonymous:

Vicodin, even a higher dose, doesn't make me high. At all. I function completely normally on it. Weed on the other hand, forget it. I would be a complete loser and would never get anything done. Plus I would gain an insane amt of weight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Vic even a low dose makes you higher than weed. I know. I take both daily. Vic for my chronic pain and weed cuz of my anxiety.

Quoting Anonymous:

I take vicodin some days because my pain is so bad I can't function. My dose is lower. Enough to lower my pain levels so I can function but I'm not stoned.

Imo if it is prescribed and taken at a dosage that isn't completely altering then yes its acceptable. You are under the care of a physican while taking it. Marijuana you aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM
I'm against marijuan because unless you grow it yourself you never know for sure what is in it. Growing up, I was a huge pot head and got it laced more than a few times. I'm not willing to take that chance now.

*I* am also not stupid with pain meds. When I have a new med pescribed to me, I don't start it until a day my dh is off work, so if I have any type of adverse reaction he is home to take care of our kids and contact my dr to get a new script called in.

I'm not bashing anyone who smokes marijuana, but it won't be in my home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I take vicodin some days because my pain is so bad I can't function. My dose is lower. Enough to lower my pain levels so I can function but I'm not stoned.

Imo if it is prescribed and taken at a dosage that isn't completely altering then yes its acceptable. You are under the care of a physican while taking it. Marijuana you aren't.

So you're saying that because it's prescribed, it's safe? A single oxycontin will knock me clean off my feet, and a good dose of nyquil will put anyone to sleep. Not only that, but aspertame will give you cancer and certain types of medication could paralyse you. But because marijuana, with no permanant side effects, is illegal, you think it's more dangerous to use?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)