Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Covertly cutting a family member out of your life?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

I want to covertly cut one of DH's family members from my life at this time, but need ideas on how to do it.

What steps can I take to remove this person from our lives without it being obvious. I also don't want DH to catch on because he would throw a fit.

My intial thoughts:

1. Changing my FB settings so she doesn't see my FB stuff...

2. Getting seriously closer to a family member she despises.

3. Hosting my own holiday celebrations so that she is forced to choose between our house and her mother's (she would never choose ours).

Any other thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StrawberryCool
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Just tell her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JenieceMojica
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My advice is just remove that person from your life. Delete the number. Delete the email. If u see the number calling hit ignore. If u have no choice but to see that person at family events say hi and walk away. Eventually u will have no contact what so ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Just tell her.

That would start WWIII in the entire family. DH would be livid with me because it would damage his relationship with multiple family members on that side. I just want this woman away from me and mine as much as possible. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Quoting JenieceMojica:

My advice is just remove that person from your life. Delete the number. Delete the email. If u see the number calling hit ignore. If u have no choice but to see that person at family events say hi and walk away. Eventually u will have no contact what so ever.

I can do that on my end of things, and since DH is terrible about keeping up with family, it is basically the same thing.

StrawberryCool
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Oh well...
Put your foot down

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Just tell her.

That would start WWIII in the entire family. DH would be livid with me because it would damage his relationship with multiple family members on that side. I just want this woman away from me and mine as much as possible. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I have a restraining order on my inlaws.. MIL, FIL, and 1 BIL. best thing i have ever done. life isnt so much hell anymore

JenieceMojica
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM
I jave done it and it has totally worked. May i ask what is the issue with this person

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JenieceMojica:

I can do that on my end of things, and since DH is terrible about keeping up with family, it is basically the same thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM
You should never do anything that would make your husband livid.
JenieceMojica
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Sometimes ur family will hurt u more then your friends :0/

Quoting Anonymous:

You should never do anything that would make your husband livid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM

She is very self-absorbed and her kids are always supposed to be first priority for the entire family. For example, showed up to Thanksgiving (2 hour drive for us) and discovered that one of her kids was vomitting and had a stomach flu, fever etc. She didn't even bother to send a text or call to warn us so that we could make an informed decision about exposing our kids. When I jokingly said, "Hope to God my kids don't get sick" her response was, "you chose to bring them here". It wasn't her house btw, but when she comes to visit she acts like my MIL's house belongs to her. In addition, she got upset with my DH at one point and just to try and win an argument she aired a bunch of our personal issues on her facebook page, she has beef with other family members because she runs her mouth, which makes it awkward for the rest of us etc. Basically I am sick of everyone tip-toeing around her and I don't want to do it anymore.

Quoting JenieceMojica:

I jave done it and it has totally worked. May i ask what is the issue with this person

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JenieceMojica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN