Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

where do you draw the line between "high-functioning autism" and " a bratty a** kid who never gets any discipline."

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 183 Replies
6 moms liked this

I'm curious? Kids used to be good, and bad. That's it. I think it's odd that every "bad" kid I see now is being medicated or treated for some new fancy disease. Where is the line drawn?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Teacher101
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM
8 moms liked this

There are many signs. I would encourage you to research it because I don't have the energy to explain it and you would most likely not believe me anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I totally agree. Every time I hear my child is on the Spectrum I kinda roll my eyes. These disorders, which I believe to be 100% are so over diagnoised. Some lady on here the other day was talking about her 2 year old who was on the spectrum with ODD and anxiety and a list of other issues....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM
12 moms liked this

Autism isn't a fancy, new diagnosis. It's a medical diagnosis based on specific criteria. It also isn't medicated in and of itself. Some parents choose to use medications that will help manage some of the symptoms. 

Autism also doesn't mean your child is a brat, either. I have seen perfectly NT kids who act far worse on a daily basis than my Autistic child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM
8 moms liked this

It's pharmaceutical companies way of making more money. Make all the kids have mental disorders so they can prescribe medications to treat the disorders that they created. 

Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM
5 moms liked this
Really? That's interesting because......of all the autistic, ADHD and Aspbergers children and adults I've known....none have been on any kind of medication.

The severely autistic boy in my daughters kindergarten class is neither bratty nor on medication. Rather, he's very quiet, introverted and smart as a whip. He has issues with social interaction , he is not as good with ver al expression and requires a lot of help with his basic needs but is a pretty pleasant kid none the less. Very happy and cheerful.

My brother has ADHD and was never bratty. He was hyper....he speaks quickly....he had issues with concentration and reading or sitting for long periods but was never rude or disobedient.

So I guess I'm just wondering whether you actually know anyone on the spectrum or whether you're just regurgitating shit you read on the internet or hear in your knitting circle....or whatever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My Asperger's son isn't medicated and with the use of counselors and appropriate parenting Asperger's children are just fine they just need a little more help. Most of the time they don't know why other people don't understand them and then they get upset or they don't understand why they can't keep up with other children in class and they think they're dumb which leads to them acting out because of low self-esteem. These kids just need the right kind of help and parenting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The only kids I know who don't have some sort of "disorder" are my own children. Everyone in my personal circle has a child that is medicated for one reason or another. The parents of these kids let them run wild using the diagnosis as an excuse for the behavior,  but don't actually attempt to correct it. It's sad.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:25 AM
I thought 2 was too young to diagnose these things

Quoting Anonymous:

I totally agree. Every time I hear my child is on the Spectrum I kinda roll my eyes. These disorders, which I believe to be 100% are so over diagnoised. Some lady on here the other day was talking about her 2 year old who was on the spectrum with ODD and anxiety and a list of other issues....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. Most days unless I tell someone you wouldn't know my oldest had Mild Autism or Developmental Delays. He has some very weird quirks, but is actually a very polite and descently well behaved kid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Autism isn't a fancy, new diagnosis. It's a medical diagnosis based on specific criteria. It also isn't medicated in and of itself. Some parents choose to use medications that will help manage some of the symptoms. 

Autism also doesn't mean your child is a brat, either. I have seen perfectly NT kids who act far worse on a daily basis than my Autistic child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM
4 moms liked this
That is my point :0) I believe it's over diagnoised and some parents are looking to get their kids diagnoised with something anytime parenting gets hard. Fact is some kids are harder than others. Doesn't mean it's a disorder. Plus I think the over Diagnosing makes it hard in the kids who really have these disorders

Quoting Fields456:

I thought 2 was too young to diagnose these things

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN