Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tips on buying a car

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this
We are about to go buy our first brand new (maybe 2012) car. What are some scams that dealerships try and what should we be aware of? I've heard so many horror stories about buying cars that I really don't want to get screwed. We have a budget and I do not want it to change.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
macysmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macysmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM
No one has been scammed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM
5 moms liked this

Realize first of all, that they do this every day.  That is their JOB.  You buy a car every few years (general you), they do it 40 hours a week.  They're good at it.

If you have a budget, good for you.  Research the types of cars you want, test drive them all WITHOUT buying. Visit several dealerships at least.  Go back several times.  Don't fall for the "today sale only" or anything like that.  Don't be a victim of "creep" - this or that extra is only x amount of dollars more.  Be firm, and ALWAYS be willing to walk away.

Don't try to get a "deal" - you won't.  Try to pay a reasonable price for what you want, staying within your budget.  Realize they need to make money off of the sale, but YOU need to stay within your budget (again, be willing to walk away).  Never, EVER let them have the keys to your car (they'll say they want to take it around back to get a price for trade in) until you're fully willing to buy the car you want.

And don't take your kids.  It will only be a distraction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I found the safest route was Carmax. A lot of the cars are like new and they are typically a nicer company to do business with, I've heard my fair share of horror stories from dealerships. So I never even bothered going to one. Lol
angie729
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this

Never tell them what you want your monthly payment or your budget for buying. A really good website with lots of information on cars and buying is www.edmunds.com

macysmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Thanks for your tips. We are very easy to walk away, I just don't want to run into some fine print we don't catch. Also the dealership we are visiting first has a trade in deal where you get an ipad with trade in. Very tempting but we need our old car as well!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Realize first of all, that they do this every day.  That is their JOB.  You buy a car every few years (general you), they do it 40 hours a week.  They're good at it.

If you have a budget, good for you.  Research the types of cars you want, test drive them all WITHOUT buying. Visit several dealerships at least.  Go back several times.  Don't fall for the "today sale only" or anything like that.  Don't be a victim of "creep" - this or that extra is only x amount of dollars more.  Be firm, and ALWAYS be willing to walk away.

Don't try to get a "deal" - you won't.  Try to pay a reasonable price for what you want, staying within your budget.  Realize they need to make money off of the sale, but YOU need to stay within your budget (again, be willing to walk away).  Never, EVER let them have the keys to your car (they'll say they want to take it around back to get a price for trade in) until you're fully willing to buy the car you want.

And don't take your kids.  It will only be a distraction.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Pay CASH!!!!!!
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Read the paperwork CAREFULLY before signing. Both my parents and us made that mistake. The salesman and the dealership "fudged" the numbers on our incomes and not by a small amount to get us in the vehicles. 

I don't know if it is the same in every state, but you are supposed to have a 72 hour window to change your mind after the paperwork has been signed. Definitely be aware of the Lemon Laws in your state. 

I definitely agree with the other poster who said be willing to walk away. Be interested but not overly so. 

OH!! And most importantly, do your research before setting foot on any car lot. Know what is standard equipment and what is add on options. Know all the details about the car/truck/van that you are looking for. 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

One more thing.

Know exactly what features are "must haves" and which ones are "want to haves."

I agree never say what you want your monthly payment to be - but for a bottom line price, yes, you can tell them that up front.  My husband always tells them - if I want to pay cash, what amount will I write on the check?  Bottom line is what counts, don't be swayed by long repayment times, and such.

Some deals they tell you about ARE a good deal - I paid for regular maintenance (5 years) up front, for half the price it would have cost by paying as I went.  New car (in fact, I ordered it).  Audi A3.  Maintenance is a part of owning a car, and required to keep the warrenty in effect, and it can be costly - look into that before you buy.

Ok, it was more than one.  Sorry.  We've bought a lot of cars over the years, and I worked in the industry for a few years as well.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Dont get any coating at all. And buy a dodge.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)