Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you refer to your kids as half siblings?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I read a lot where people say "their half sister/brother" did such and such. It just sounds like that person isn't really your sibling to me. If you have kids from different fathers, do you you call them halves?

Ds is 8 and his dad passed away not long after he was born. I'm remarried and we have a daughter. It never occurs to me that they are half anything. They are brother and sister and that's it.

I guess it isn't odd if you grew up in different homes, but it just strikes me as a little strange when someone labels their sibling that way. There's nothing wrong with it, of course, I just wonder if people don't feel as attached to the brother or sister that has a different parent?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

No, I don't see it like that at all. Even if my ex were to re-marry and have kids, they would be my dd's brothers and sisters, period.

indymom72
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

nope..

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I dont, my kids are just siblings

MommySally
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM
One of my brothers has a different father and we never thought of each other as any less than brother and sister. I don't get the whole half brother/sister thing, but that's just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Nope.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Dd has 2 half sisters and a half brother. She will never have a full sibling. She calls them all her sisters and brother she doesn't examine they are half. She also has never lived with any of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I have a half sister.  I barely know her.

hip2it
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Nope.  They're all brothers and sisters.

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

No not at all. I have 1 have sister and 2 half brothers and I consider them my sister and brothers. I only have 1 full sibling.

Teacher101
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

We don't refer to them that way at all. Then again, My kids are all being raised in the same home and are always together when they aren't in school. Now if my ex-dh has anymore kids, the children might refer to them as half, but that would be because those kids would be raised 22 hours away and they would rarely see each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured