Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The babysitter gave me a wish list...**Edited**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a lady watch my kids who used to work at the daycare my girls went to.  I am a single mom, so not a lot of money floating around.  I pay her 800.00 a month for my 2 children one of whom is in school (as agreed upon with her).  I was recently going through my girls "art" from her house and found a wish list FROM HER.  I thought maybe it was a mistake, so I texted her and asked her what it was.  She said "Just incase you wondered...lol"  Um, is it just me or is that incredbly RUDE?

She told a mutual friend of ours "Well she gets a bonus so I expect a gift." First of all I give you almost 1/2 of my after taxes paycheck every month, second it is not promised I get a bonus and most likely won't this year because our business has slowed drastically, and three who f*cking does that?? 

I am not impressed....I had planeed on getting her a nice candle (Like a big Yankee one) or a gift certificate to go somewhere nicer to eat, but now I am not getting her anything.  Ok, so I probaly still will, but it really made me mad....

EDIT***

To clarify a couple of things.  The list was nothing etreme.  Just some specific DVD's (or maybe she wants Blu Rays bc I think she has one) and specific make up (Sephora).  3

I keep seeing a week of pay is the "norm".  Well that isn't happening because it is December and there is nowhere I could pull an extra 200 bucks from.  I highly dount she expects that. 

As for 800 a month.  Some of you think it is too much and some of you think is too little.  You need to remember location.  The centers here charge from 250-400 a WEEK for 2 kids.  Child care is very expensive here.  Her and I set out a FLAT rate so it doesn't increase when my oldest is on break.  I also pay her for all holidays (she just got paid for Thursday and Friday for example) AND two weeks of vacation.  So essentially she get at least 600/year for time she doesn't even have my children.  If she chooses not to continue watching my children because of a gift that is on her.  I don't think she would do that though.  I would be SHOCKED if she did. 

I think that covers the main questions :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Replies (301-307):
Mrs.Winchester
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM

With my last babysitting job I watched a 14 month old and was paid $1,000 at the first of every month,  like a salary.  I worked M-F from 8:30-5:00.  I thought it was a lot of money considering I could also bring my own child and they provided food.  Babysitting is extremely unstable though.  With this job I mentioned the mother laid me off on the first of this month and asked me to work until the 1st of december (she had paid me until then).  So basically she laid me off right before Christmas without severence pay or anything.  She was moving out of town.  At least when you are at a business they can't fire you without write-ups, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right?  LOL.  With the kids she watches she brings home more money than I do.  But I couldn't handle the stress of it and I don't know how she does taxes.  She is an incredible care giver.  That's why I am trying not to flip over something so minor.  The daycare my kids went to was 175.00 week when my dd was in school and over 1k when she was on break.  This is a flat rate with her, so that helps out an insane amount.  

Quoting AngryBob:

Wow, eight hundred bucks a month?? I need to get in the baby sitting business!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM
That's not true. In my state they can fire you w/o notice and a severance isn't mandatory if laid off. No job is 100% stable. Did I read that correctly....you basically got a months notice?
Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

With my last babysitting job I watched a 14 month old and was paid $1,000 at the first of every month,  like a salary.  I worked M-F from 8:30-5:00.  I thought it was a lot of money considering I could also bring my own child and they provided food.  Babysitting is extremely unstable though.  With this job I mentioned the mother laid me off on the first of this month and asked me to work until the 1st of december (she had paid me until then).  So basically she laid me off right before Christmas without severence pay or anything.  She was moving out of town.  At least when you are at a business they can't fire you without write-ups, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right?  LOL.  With the kids she watches she brings home more money than I do.  But I couldn't handle the stress of it and I don't know how she does taxes.  She is an incredible care giver.  That's why I am trying not to flip over something so minor.  The daycare my kids went to was 175.00 week when my dd was in school and over 1k when she was on break.  This is a flat rate with her, so that helps out an insane amount.  

Quoting AngryBob:

Wow, eight hundred bucks a month?? I need to get in the baby sitting business!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM
im a full time nanny of 4. you know what I expect? absolutely nothing!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I watch a 2 yr old -I get 1600 a month and two weeks vacation a yr.
Plus they do the taxes for me.
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Ehh. I don't see a big deal here. My nanny is like family at this point, so she is definitely on the christmas list. We keep a wish list in the kitchen on the fridge and she has a column with her name on it, and she puts modest things on there , but we go above and beyond for her cause she is just awesome. I would at least buy the person who watches your kid exclusively with love and care, a gift or two for the holidays , and her wish list can just be a guiding point for you on what to buy.

smurfbitebug
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Lol you actually sound nice. Perturbed that she would do that, but F it, you will probably get her a little something anyways. Sounds like something I would do. "Meh.. it's Christmas..." ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knoxmomof2
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Didn't read replies..... I just started doing in-home daycare and I would NEVER expect pay for Holidays OR vacations! I expect pay for what I work. And I would NEVER expect gifts from parents. Of course I don't expect gifts from anyone, but how rude was this? Except for my children/ Hubby/parents, if you ASK me for a gift, you are DEFINITELY not geiing one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)