Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The babysitter gave me a wish list...**Edited**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a lady watch my kids who used to work at the daycare my girls went to.  I am a single mom, so not a lot of money floating around.  I pay her 800.00 a month for my 2 children one of whom is in school (as agreed upon with her).  I was recently going through my girls "art" from her house and found a wish list FROM HER.  I thought maybe it was a mistake, so I texted her and asked her what it was.  She said "Just incase you wondered...lol"  Um, is it just me or is that incredbly RUDE?

She told a mutual friend of ours "Well she gets a bonus so I expect a gift." First of all I give you almost 1/2 of my after taxes paycheck every month, second it is not promised I get a bonus and most likely won't this year because our business has slowed drastically, and three who f*cking does that?? 

I am not impressed....I had planeed on getting her a nice candle (Like a big Yankee one) or a gift certificate to go somewhere nicer to eat, but now I am not getting her anything.  Ok, so I probaly still will, but it really made me mad....

EDIT***

To clarify a couple of things.  The list was nothing etreme.  Just some specific DVD's (or maybe she wants Blu Rays bc I think she has one) and specific make up (Sephora).  3

I keep seeing a week of pay is the "norm".  Well that isn't happening because it is December and there is nowhere I could pull an extra 200 bucks from.  I highly dount she expects that. 

As for 800 a month.  Some of you think it is too much and some of you think is too little.  You need to remember location.  The centers here charge from 250-400 a WEEK for 2 kids.  Child care is very expensive here.  Her and I set out a FLAT rate so it doesn't increase when my oldest is on break.  I also pay her for all holidays (she just got paid for Thursday and Friday for example) AND two weeks of vacation.  So essentially she get at least 600/year for time she doesn't even have my children.  If she chooses not to continue watching my children because of a gift that is on her.  I don't think she would do that though.  I would be SHOCKED if she did. 

I think that covers the main questions :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
alwayskk
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM

$800 a month for two kids full time is overpaying?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM

it's not.  The centers locally are from 250-400 - yes 400 a week with my children's ages.  Some of the places MAY be cheaper weekly while my dd is in school, but the 4 months plus she is out the prices sky rocket.   Believe me I have called every single center with in a 20 mile radius.  In home care is much cheaper.  I had just never been able to find someone I trusted until she went on her own. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Daycare would probably be cheaper, rather than a personal babysitter

edelweiss23
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
She is way over paid to start with.

I am not suprised at the lack if tact these days. Don't feel as though you need to get her anything.
I would give her a Dunkin donuts or Starbucks card for $10.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
What? I have never heard of this and 1 weeks pay is ridiculous when she's already giving most of her pay to a baby sitter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rule of thumb is you should give her one weeks pay as a gift.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Really?? I don't spend that much on my parents, sibling or husband at the holidays. Definitely not spending that much on the babysitter.

I was going to have the kids make her something, give her some B&BW and get something from my kids to hers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Who has that rule?  Sorry for her shitty  luck, but I sure don't have a thousand dollars to give her this month.  I pay her for holiday's and vaction.  That is all I can do and she knew that when she agreed to this.

Quoting Anonymous:

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
How do you get started doing that? Hell, I speak Spanish, I could definitely teach little kids the basics. I'm not certified, but I have lots of experience in first aid. I wouldn't want a daycare, though, just like a kid or two.

Quoting Roxygurl:

I make a hell of a lot more than that a WEEK working as a nanny.

Quoting AngryBob:

Wow, eight hundred bucks a month?? I need to get in the baby sitting business!

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
As a nanny I would never ever do something like that and in all honesty of someone had done that to me I would have the kids make them a homemade item and call it a day.

I'm not sure what you planned on spending on her, you said Yankee candle so about 30 bucks? I'd go to hobby lobby or Michaels and buy a craft project for your kids to do for her, you can find some for a couple bucks a piece.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robsgurl_23
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

what did she put on the list of what she wants? I would just go with the candle and call it good. I dont think people should give a I want list to the person they work for. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Hahahahaha I just might :)

Quoting harpsichord:

Print out pictures of said items and glue them inside her Christmas card lmfao

Quoting Anonymous:

It was nothing major.  Just a few things.  Some specific movies and brand of make up she wanted.   

Quoting harpsichord:

Okay, I have to ask : WHAT WAS ON THE LIST!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN