Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The babysitter gave me a wish list...**Edited**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a lady watch my kids who used to work at the daycare my girls went to.  I am a single mom, so not a lot of money floating around.  I pay her 800.00 a month for my 2 children one of whom is in school (as agreed upon with her).  I was recently going through my girls "art" from her house and found a wish list FROM HER.  I thought maybe it was a mistake, so I texted her and asked her what it was.  She said "Just incase you wondered...lol"  Um, is it just me or is that incredbly RUDE?

She told a mutual friend of ours "Well she gets a bonus so I expect a gift." First of all I give you almost 1/2 of my after taxes paycheck every month, second it is not promised I get a bonus and most likely won't this year because our business has slowed drastically, and three who f*cking does that?? 

I am not impressed....I had planeed on getting her a nice candle (Like a big Yankee one) or a gift certificate to go somewhere nicer to eat, but now I am not getting her anything.  Ok, so I probaly still will, but it really made me mad....

EDIT***

To clarify a couple of things.  The list was nothing etreme.  Just some specific DVD's (or maybe she wants Blu Rays bc I think she has one) and specific make up (Sephora).  3

I keep seeing a week of pay is the "norm".  Well that isn't happening because it is December and there is nowhere I could pull an extra 200 bucks from.  I highly dount she expects that. 

As for 800 a month.  Some of you think it is too much and some of you think is too little.  You need to remember location.  The centers here charge from 250-400 a WEEK for 2 kids.  Child care is very expensive here.  Her and I set out a FLAT rate so it doesn't increase when my oldest is on break.  I also pay her for all holidays (she just got paid for Thursday and Friday for example) AND two weeks of vacation.  So essentially she get at least 600/year for time she doesn't even have my children.  If she chooses not to continue watching my children because of a gift that is on her.  I don't think she would do that though.  I would be SHOCKED if she did. 

I think that covers the main questions :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

wow!!!

i would not get her anything!

girlywifey
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AngryBob:

Wow, eight hundred bucks a month?? I need to get in the baby sitting business!

I was thinking the same thing!! And one is in school all day!! Wow

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Bake her some cookies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
This fell in my lap actually.

I worked at a daycare and a few years later a former parent had a baby and wanted a nanny and asked me to be their nanny. I wasnt looking but she was willing to pay me well so I took it.

Then 9 months later she got laid off and they didn't need me anymore so I found another daycare job and the day I quit the best friends of the ones I used to nanny for had me babysit.

As I was coming down the stairs the mom was complaining about the daycare and asked if I wanted to be a nanny and I said YES so we reached a pay agreement and I started soon afterwards.

I've been with them for 5 years and they've had another baby in that time frame.

I love my job, I've never been able to say that about any other job but I love this one.
Quoting AngryBob:

How do you get started doing that? Hell, I speak Spanish, I could definitely teach little kids the basics. I'm not certified, but I have lots of experience in first aid. I wouldn't want a daycare, though, just like a kid or two.

Quoting Roxygurl:

I make a hell of a lot more than that a WEEK working as a nanny.

Quoting AngryBob:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting alwayskk:

She'd be out of a job.

What she said.

Wow. Tacky.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I would be looking for a new babysitter but that's just me...

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Please tell me what you do that is worth $3200-4000 a month, I would never pay that when there are so many options.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting AngryBob:

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Full time babysitters usually get a Christmas bonus in cash, just as your work gives you cash. 

Not sure why you wanna piss off the woman that you depend on most in the world. Not tipping your regular babysitter at the holidays is like not paying your heat bill. No one can force you to do it, but if you don't you will probably suffer for it. 

Our babysitter only watches the kids once a week. We are tipping her $100 cash and giving her a small gift. We want her to be happy and feel appreciated so she keeps treating our kids well. Yes, its a bribe to treat the kids well. Since you pay her $200 per week on average I  think you should be tipping her one weeks pay. Thats industry standard.

pinkjimmies06
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Have your kid make her something instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I almost accepted a nanny position after high school. I baby sat the kids a ton, and they knew I needed a job and a place to stay. But I also wanted to go to college, and it was across town and I didn't have a car, so it wouldn't have worked out.
Sometimes I wish I would have taken it, though! Haven't seen the family since, but I miss them and think about them sometimes. They were sweet people.

Quoting Roxygurl:

This fell in my lap actually.

I worked at a daycare and a few years later a former parent had a baby and wanted a nanny and asked me to be their nanny. I wasnt looking but she was willing to pay me well so I took it.

Then 9 months later she got laid off and they didn't need me anymore so I found another daycare job and the day I quit the best friends of the ones I used to nanny for had me babysit.

As I was coming down the stairs the mom was complaining about the daycare and asked if I wanted to be a nanny and I said YES so we reached a pay agreement and I started soon afterwards.

I've been with them for 5 years and they've had another baby in that time frame.

I love my job, I've never been able to say that about any other job but I love this one.
Quoting AngryBob:

How do you get started doing that? Hell, I speak Spanish, I could definitely teach little kids the basics. I'm not certified, but I have lots of experience in first aid. I wouldn't want a daycare, though, just like a kid or two.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting AngryBob:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)