Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how to teach your four year old ABCs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Got any tips? I'm terrible at this.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
Yogamom08
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Tape a small piece of paper with the appropriate letter to all the objects in your house. "d" on door, etc. Then go over with your little one every day. Eventually, make a game out of it. "bring me all the A's" and reward him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Trace letters in sand, trace letters on sand paper, use chalk boards, white boards. Go through a letter a week. Find things around the house that begin with the letter and draw them, make a dinner or dessert that starts with the letter, do a craft with the letter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I taught my ds with flash cards when he was 2. He thought it was so fun! I started by laying them out on the floor and asking him "show me where D is!" ..... and I started with a few letters at a time that way it wasn't overwhelming with the whole alphabet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

hmm... click on the computer in the classroom, there is a mouse training activity on it. DS wasnt so much able to get it at first either, but practice makes perfect... Also, she will get the information out of it even if she's sitting in your lap while you use the mouse if she really cant get the hang of the mouse

Quoting Anonymous:

I tried ABC mouse and my daughter didn't take to it very well. She's not good with using a mouse to click things

Quoting anyotherday:

Sesame street videos, alphabet books, super why.... 

Or do you mean writing her alphabet...  I got my 3yo a whiteboard tracing board. He also has a tracing app on my kindle he really likes. 

ABCMouse.com, he LOVES ABCmouse!

alwayskk
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Choose a letter for each day of the week and have them help you find things that start with that letter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Look on YouTube for Barbara maline she has songs that teach ABC song and the sounds. My son learned all of that at age two.
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM

AAAAANNNNDDDD.... LOL... Im full of them...

Sesame Street's African Alphabet and the ABC song on superwhy were the songs my son picked up on and could sing first, they are slower than the traditional one, especially in the middle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Shouldn't a 4 year old know their ABCs? Is there a learning disability?
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Do a different letter each day. Focus the day around that letter. Eat that letter, such as A for apple, b for bannana, etc. Sing the song daily or while in the car, etc.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

play letter games a during the day. Its easier than you think because they are everywhere. Also if you let your child eat cheese its they make the letter ones and those are fun. Start having a letter of the day. Write it in on paper in Big Bold color. The say today's letter of the day is A. tape it where your child can see it. During breakfast play tell me how many words you can think of that start with A. Write them down. When you are out Find and point out all the letter As. Talk about people you know who's names start with A. talk about the letter through the day. Can hyou name a person, animal food or place that starts with A. End it when they are going to sleep. Good luck and make it FUN !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN