Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how to teach your four year old ABCs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Got any tips? I'm terrible at this.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Replies (171-180):
luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Singing Abcs of course. You can get flash cards but what I find to be most effective is pointing out letters every time you see them. If your out and about you see a sign----you say look there is a B, thats a B, see the B.. while playing if you have blocks with the letters on the side thats a great time to learn. Those board puzzles I think melissa and doug makes them they have an ABC puzzle. You can play and learn at the same time. Just any time you see letters or books take that time to point out the letters. Make it fun and he wont know  your trying to "teach" him anything. My soon to be 4 yr old learned her colors this way and her numbers/letters by the time she was 2- 2.5 this way.

Good luck and be patient!!

AmberRose1122
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM
We watch this!

Quoting brettsmomma:

I suggest a song. this was my sons fav. He is currently dancing and singing to it and he is 4 and a half. :) 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Try Starfall.com.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Get a pre-k work book. This is what we started doing with my son a few months ago and he already knows all but maybe 6 letters by site and can write them all. We have study time every day for 30 minutes. He also can write his name as well. Sit down and do each letter with him. Have him sound them out too so that you don't have to go back and teach that. They pick up super fast!
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I sing them all day long and point out alphabet letters everywhere

mummamaur
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I used flash cards, singing, those little kid pads that look like a keyboard. Touch a letter. Letter of the day. My dd could sing them around 1.5. She is 2.5 now and is writing her letters. I get the activity alphabet books with the dotted lines. Those worked the best. She can now write over half the alphabet without lines or help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmeredith
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

We sing the song, write on the school boards I got at Target, also we have leapfrog movies that she watches.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Glad he made the journey!

Quoting Sarahb21:

My 7 yr old struggled with his letters. He was amazing at numbers and math type stuff or anything scientific. Letters were always a struggle to him. He did learn them and now he's well above his grade level in reading, spelling and writing, but damn it was a long road!

Quoting Anonymous:

Hate to say it but I was wondering the same thing... Both me, DH and all three of our kids knew them by the time we were one.

Quoting Anonymous:

How can a kid be 4 and not know them already? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:22 AM

start teaching them when they are babies...that way,  there's no rush to make sure Susie will be at the rite speed wtih the rest of the class, and if anything, she'll be a help to the teacher at school, because she's advanced. 

oceandancer
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Quoting brettsmomma:

I suggest a song. this was my sons fav. He is currently dancing and singing to it and he is 4 and a half. :) 

such a cute song
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)