Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how to teach your four year old ABCs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Got any tips? I'm terrible at this.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I just googled it and there are a ton. I found my sons at toys r us. This is also how he learned shapes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junesmommy18
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM
3 moms liked this
My DD knew her ABC's at 2. Why has it taken a 4 year old this long?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I dont recommend using the song. All it does is teaches them a song..no different than teaching them twinkle twinkle little star.  Learning the ABC's is letter recognition and sound recognition. 

When I taught preschool we used big flashcards...but we didnt do them in ABC order. All that does is teach them that E always comes after D...Q always comes before R, etc.  It doesnt teach them what the letter actually is or what sound it makes. We dont read in ABC order so there's no reason to teach them in ABC order.

Use flash cards, upper and lowercase. With each letter, emphasize the sound it makes.  Mix them up...make a game out of it.  Once they start recognizing them by sight and the sound, do things like..."What is something in the room that starts with this letter?" (for example...the letter P...and they go put the card on a Pillow) Have them name as many things as they can that start with a certain letter, etc.

Oh and please dont think there is something wrong with singing the ABC song...there isnt. But it doesnt really teach them the letters. It's just memorizing a song...like any other song.  We'd have parents time and time again tell us "They know their ABCs". No...they don't...they know a song. lol

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

start at 1

mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Sing the abc's put letters on things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Actually it is not that uncommon. My 3 year old knows them because she was interested. Not all kids are.

Quoting Junesmommy18:

My DD knew her ABC's at 2. Why has it taken a 4 year old this long?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
singlemama0905
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Omg yesssss!!!! I was gonna recommend gigglebellies too!

My son knew a lot of his ABCs by like 20 months and Iknow these had a huge part...catchy songs super colorful. My DS still loves watchin the dvds

Quoting brettsmomma:

I suggest a song. this was my sons fav. He is currently dancing and singing to it and he is 4 and a half. :) 

tifbrown
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM
My girls knew their abc's since they were 2. I just sang it regularly and they caught on. As for letter recognition, I just point out random letters as we are reading or playing and ask them what it is. Eventually they catch on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Sing it often with them and show them on cards also.Sing when you're in the card if hubby is driving show him the cards at the same time I started my dd when she was like 1.5

mary841108
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

we had the Leap frog abc magnet thing. it would sing not only the alphabet but the letter sounds as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN