Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you marry someone with bad credit? (Low 400s)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
?

He has a steady job but never pays bills on time.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

That was my problem! I used debit.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself, I went out and got a 500 limit credit card and use it just for random stuff, I pay it all off, in full every month and it's made me feel like a really independent married women :P Plus if anything ever happened to our marriage, I have my own credit score.

Have you ever thought about just getting a very small credit card, just to buy small things with that you know you can pay off each month?

Quoting MichLW69:

I don't even have a credit score bc I buy everything in cash. =(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, so long as I was in charge of the money.  No negotiations on that point!  

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it would depend on what exactly caused the bad credit.  Not paying bills on time doesn't necessarily mean irresponsibility and it depends on what bills you're speaking of.  Credit cards being maxed and never paid?  Utility bills? 

There are things that happen that are sometimes out of that person's control.  Lay off, savings used up to keep home, house foreclosed on, medical bills that insurance won't cover, etc etc.  It's an extreme circumstance, but it happens.

Granted, I have no plans to marry ever again, but as long as the person is making every effort to correct the issue to get out of the hole and not continue to make poor financial choices, I have no issue being involved with them.

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

No

nathans_mom407
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I did.  I took over all the finances when we married.  It's better now six years later but our mortgage is only in my name.

His was bad because he had back surgery at 20, had to be on disability and didn't make enough to pay the medical bills.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. If he can't pay his bills and take care of himself, I'm not interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, that's what I'm going to do so I can build up my credit.

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

That was my problem! I used debit.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself, I went out and got a 500 limit credit card and use it just for random stuff, I pay it all off, in full every month and it's made me feel like a really independent married women :P Plus if anything ever happened to our marriage, I have my own credit score.

Have you ever thought about just getting a very small credit card, just to buy small things with that you know you can pay off each month?

Quoting MichLW69:

I don't even have a credit score bc I buy everything in cash. =(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM
No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think so. Barring a huge disruption in life (job loss, major medical issues, identity theft, and such), poor credit scores are an indicator of poor life management.  I think looking at what is on the credit score would be a good idea, as well. What is it that he is making such bad choices on?  I have a friend whose ex had a three hundred dollar strike on his credit for Swiss Colony.  He had borrowed, and not paid back, for three hundred dollars worth of cheese and sausage. I mean, how do you even try and justify spending like that?

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I'd need more info.

My credit is low, around the 400s, but it's based on shit I did a while back. I still owe and am working on it, but it's a slow deal. Sometimes my bills are late but it's hard to pay with money that isn't yours yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN