Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my son told my mom I am a Buddhist

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM
  • 9 Replies
My family is Christian, my grandfather is a retired pastor. I grew up in a church. When one of my aunts heard I like to meditate instead of pray she went off on me. Telling me I was going to go to hell and if my grandma (passed away when I was 13) was still alive I would have killed her with a heart attack. She then told me I have my grandmas blood on my hands and that she was rolling in her grave over this. Now this was the time I still considered myself a Christian. I just decided I wanted to pray while meditating instead of on my knees with hands folded.

Yesterday my mom came to me and said that my ds7 told her I was a Buddhist now. I was so nervous about what she would say I didnt know what to say. I didnt want to feel horrible for the choices I made for myself. I told her I was still on my spiritual journey and she left it at that. I am now afraid of what my mom thinks of me and how my other family members will take it if they find out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Who cares? It's your choice.

*i do understand that we always want to please our parents/family. And we want them to be proud of us etc, etc. but this is all about you and how you want to live your life.
edelweiss23
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Nothing wrong with being Buddhist!
I meditate and it helps keep me calm.
My parents have been upset recently because I have started shying away from the denomination I grew up in.
chendren1
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM
That is better then what my daughter told my Mom. My mom called me freaking out cause my daughter told her I am athesist. Lol. I am not just at a point where I am not sure what I believe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM
My family can be brutal. I would never hear the end of it if they came over and saw any decor relating to another belief in my house. My aunts act stuck up and will treat you like your below them and there is no way anyone could be more perfect then their kids.

Quoting edelweiss23:

Nothing wrong with being Buddhist!

I meditate and it helps keep me calm.

My parents have been upset recently because I have started shying away from the denomination I grew up in.
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Same here, I am still learning what I believe in.

Quoting chendren1:

That is better then what my daughter told my Mom. My mom called me freaking out cause my daughter told her I am athesist. Lol. I am not just at a point where I am not sure what I believe.
SalmonBerry87
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Sounds like your family needs to back off and let you explore your own path. Don't let them hold you back. GL :)
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I wouldn't worry about what your family believes or thinks.  Your spiritual path is yours and yours alone.  It is a very personal decision and not something taken lightly.  But I understand how family can make it difficult.

My family is Catholic, I'm Atheist.

My grandmother says I'm still rebelling.  A 24 yr rebelion, eh?

My mother supports my beliefs.

My dad was cool for years, but after the birth of Monster, he has been pressuring me a lot about returning back to the religion and getting Monster baptized Catholic.  I feel it should be Monster's choice when she understands the meaning behind baptism.  I may not buy it, but I know that there is a lot of meaning behind it for Catholics and just flippantly allowing it would be disrespectful to their faith.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I am a Witch. My mom was a Witch. My father and his entire family are devout Catholics. My father is a deacon and two cousins are priests. They know I am a Witch. It's now a game, I swear, to see who will convert me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Oh man, I feel your pain! I have explained to all of my kids that my religous differences would do nothing but hurt Grandma and do good can come from outing me for no longer being christian. Lucky for me, my kids seem to get ti! I did have a boyfriend once that couldn't handle me "being dishonest" by letting my mom continue to think I'm christian. The way I see it though, I am comfortable with where I aam and my faith is strong. My mom would feel I have killed myself, how is it of any benefit to anybody for me to put her in that state of mind. I will never tell her where I stand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)