Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 10 month old is breaking out in hives.

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 20 Replies
He has been sick with a runny nose and cough. Now he is breaking out in hives. Of course, my husbands aunt tells me I'm wrong even though I know what hives are and know babies can get them from having a cold virus which he has. So now I'm being told to take him to the ER. I can't get her to understand that he is not having trouble breathing and he is not swelling. He is acting completely normal so why take him to the hospital and sit there for six hours when all they will do is give him benedrly and send us home ? I tried telling her I already called his pedi on his weekend number and was told to give him Zyrtec. I will be taking him to see his pedi tomorrow anyway. She thinks she knows more than his pedi and said to me well if he does from anaphylaxis , it's my fault. I know she means well, but I also know this is not an emergency.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I would go on one of those medical websites and search all his symptoms just to be sure. Then show hubbys aunt so she will quit worrying.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're convinced he's not in immediate danger, give the medicine and keep watching him. Ignore the aunt.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM
You can give Zrytec to a baby that young?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Yes. I called his pedi. He told me exactly how much to give him. He is breaking out because of the cold virus he had.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

You can give Zrytec to a baby that young?
embersparkle
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I'm trying to lol the hives are going away now.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

If you're convinced he's not in immediate danger, give the medicine and keep watching him. Ignore the aunt.

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Myself and my son are allergic to the antibiotic. It's a common allergy and that would be my guess. He's allergic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I did. They all said the same thing, cold virus can cause them, it's one way the body fights the virus. I also called his pedi on his weekend number. Since he is not getting worse and there are no signs of swelling or difficulty breathing then it's ok. I will be taking him to his pedi tomorrow just for extra insurance.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I would go on one of those medical websites and search all his symptoms just to be sure. Then show hubbys aunt so she will quit worrying.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

An anaphylactic reaction happens within 15 minutes of ingesting or coming in contact with an allergen. Fifteen MINUTES. If it's been longer than that, you're good! give the kid some benadryl and wait it out. 

I've got a little guy with lots and lots of food allergies. It's not something to mess with. But that doesn't sound like the case here.  

embersparkle
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM
He isn't on antibiotics. When I took him to the doctor a week ago it was determined he has a cold when I called his pedi last night he said often babies can have an allergic reaction to the cold virus and that's part of his body fighting it. I just hate it when people assume I'm being stupid and not doing anything about it lol

Quoting lowencope:

Myself and my son are allergic to the antibiotic. It's a common allergy and that would be my guess. He's allergic.
mommybecky
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM
You already know this, but the number one reason that kids break out in hives is a virus. Basically, their immune systems go haywire and hives occur. Our dd, 4, has broken out in them several times. We give her Zyrtec and they go away. She first started doing this on her first birthday. She is allergic to amoxicillin, too. She will break out so bad from a virus that her eyes will swell, as well as her mouth. It's all just because of the virus.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)