Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ASPERGERS, DO YOU OR YOUR SO/SPOUSE HAVE IT?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM
  • 17 Replies

Part of a rehab report I have to write is about a case study of a 33 year old male with Aspergers who wants to move in with his girlfriend.  What is your relationship like.  What are some challenges?  What's great?  

Thanks in advance!

With light and love

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A_McCool
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I'm 26, and it is is suspected that I have Asperger's Syndrome (not officially diagnosed as of yet).  I'm married, and we have been married for 7 years.  There have been many many challenges and most of them we couldn't figure out.  My possible AS has only come to light in the past several months so we there were years where we couldn't quite figure out what my issue was.  He has expressed that at times he felt unloved and unappreciated.  He felt like I just kept him around for the kids and to pay bills.  

Since, finding out that I likely have AS and researching the condition, we have made great strides in better understanding one another.  He has learned to overexplain his feelings because I do not intuitively understand his emotions. He's always known I was weird and accepted that; the problems were with the more emotional side of the relationship.  We just have trouble understanding each other and have to work at it.  

I'm so lucky to have him.  I don't think anyone else could deal with my issues.  Thanksgiving we went to the park, and I was standing and reading.  Apparently, at some point I started spinning in circles; he came over and asked me to stop because people were staring.  We both thought it was funny.  

sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No my DH and I don't have it but our 3 1/2 year old DD has it. Was just diagnosed with it about a month ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

My child has it.  After going through therapy with my child, we are seeing a lot of the same things with my husband.  My husband has said he feels he also has it.  Communication, showing of affection, talking about feelings has all been tough for him.  Not that he doesn't have them, or feel strongly but that showing and expressing them has been difficult.  We did some family therapy on how to communicate better, and part of that was taking the love languages test.  It made a big difference, because we show and see love in different ways.  

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Thank you!

Quoting A_McCool:

I'm 26, and it is is suspected that I have Asperger's Syndrome (not officially diagnosed as of yet).  I'm married, and we have been married for 7 years.  There have been many many challenges and most of them we couldn't figure out.  My possible AS has only come to light in the past several months so we there were years where we couldn't quite figure out what my issue was.  He has expressed that at times he felt unloved and unappreciated.  He felt like I just kept him around for the kids and to pay bills.  

Since, finding out that I likely have AS and researching the condition, we have made great strides in better understanding one another.  He has learned to overexplain his feelings because I do not intuitively understand his emotions. He's always known I was weird and accepted that; the problems were with the more emotional side of the relationship.  We just have trouble understanding each other and have to work at it.  

I'm so lucky to have him.  I don't think anyone else could deal with my issues.  Thanksgiving we went to the park, and I was standing and reading.  Apparently, at some point I started spinning in circles; he came over and asked me to stop because people were staring.  We both thought it was funny.  

With light and love

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

What are your feelings?

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

No my DH and I don't have it but our 3 1/2 year old DD has it. Was just diagnosed with it about a month ago.

With light and love

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

My child has it.  After going through therapy with my child, we are seeing a lot of the same things with my husband.  My husband has said he feels he also has it.  Communication, showing of affection, talking about feelings has all been tough for him.  Not that he doesn't have them, or feel strongly but that showing and expressing them has been difficult.  We did some family therapy on how to communicate better, and part of that was taking the love languages test.  It made a big difference, because we show and see love in different ways.  

With light and love

VintageWife
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My husband has it. He is 39.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have many of the traits and issues that Aspies face, but was never formally diagnosed. Good luck with your paper. 

FatCatsMomma
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM
It's suspected it have it, haven't been officially diagnosed yet. It's really hard for me to express my feelings and moods to anyone, and it makes my husband upset. I'm incredibly socially awkward and have a ridiculously hard time making friends. I have a hard time figuring out if people are being serious or sarcastic, and my husband does this a lot. It makes for interesting conversation... Lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

My exs best friend has it. Him and I lived with the friend and his wife for a while. They (married couple) fought CONSTANTLY. He was always up playing stuff on the computer, he was actually quite rude most of the time. He had a hard time controlling his words. He had no sensor. He always had to fidget... I don't know how his wife lived with it. He was so rude to her. They didn't show any sort of affection...Ever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)