Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's gone from bad to worse...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

First, let me fill you in on the back story. So, about a year ago, my MIL got into a situation and lost her license. She needed her car to get back and forth to work (that was about an hour away) so she asked my hubby and I if we would put the car in my name for her. So, because she has helped us out in a similar situation before, we said yes. The car was being financed. The deal was that she would get the car out of my name in 3 months...that was 13 months ago. It's been so long that I forgot the car was in my name. Now here is the situation at hand. Yesterday, I am sitting in our place of business ( we own a store) and this guy walks in an asks for me. I say "yes, that's me." He then goes on to say that he is looking to repossess a vehicle. At first I was confused because we own our car. I said, "what vehicle? Our car is paid for?" He then said "a ford taurus". It was at that moment that I remembered that I had financed the car for my inlaws. I told him that the vehicle wasn't here, that they were at work. He wanted the address to the job. I told him that I didn't know and then said I would try to get some info for him. So I text my SIL (who lives with them) and told her that the repo guy was at the store and to have her mom call the store. No answer, for about an hour and a half. Now, while waiting for an answer, the repo guy is baggering me about the car saying that he wanted it NOW. This is going on while my store is open and customers are around. I was absolutely mortified. I then told him that I don't drive the car and that I financed it for someone else to use. He then went into how that wasn't a smart decision and that I am the one held responsible. So he went on and on about what's its costing me everyday that they don't have the car and what it's doing to my credit. They haven't paid the note in 3 months. So after all of that, he finally left (an hour or so later) and said that he would be back on Monday. My SIL finally text me back saying "tell them we are out of town". I told her that he'd left already and that they needed to have the car here by Monday. I was told that I wasn't getting anything (with major attitude) because they just paid for the insurance on the car (which they were supposed to pay). I told her that I do not want them at my store every day hasseling me about a vehicle that I don't even drive and that they need to do something by Monday. That was the last thing I said. When dh came home, I told him the story. He called his parents trying to get their side and as soon as his dad got on the phone, he started yelling at dh telling him that I am trying to cause trouble and that I am being dramatic. He then went on and on about me and how dare I act like this after they have done so much for us, yada, yada, yada. Dh stayed quite majority of the time. He was pissed off and wanted to keep calm. At the end of the conversation, he told his father to have the car here on Monday. That's it. So, here we are now. It's Sunday afternoon. They are supposed to have the car here tomorrow. Now, the part that makes this ugly is that this is their only car. My SIL her baby and my BIL also live with my inlaws. So they all use the car for work. I am almost positive that they won't just hand the car over, so that means that we are going to have to take it by force. This is where it's going to get ugly. What I see happening is the inlaws painting me as the bad guy and telling dh that it's either me or them. Dh knows this as well. My problem with this whole thing is the attitude from them about everything. They didn't even have the nerve to tell me that they were going to be late with a payment so that I could have at least went to the dealer and told them something. They went three whole months without so much as a word. They knew they weren't paying. Last I checked, everything with the car was "fine". So the question is, what do I do now? How do I keep this from exploding and am I the one in the wrong here? Sorry if this seems so long and if I seem all over the place, I am just trying to get it all out.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LynBoz
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You are not wrong. I would give the repo man their address and phone number come monday if they don't return the car to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Why didn't they pay?  That sucks.  Can they pay off what's owed?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Why didn't they pay?  That sucks.  Can they pay off what's owed?

They don't even want the money anymore :-/

MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Give your in laws address to the repo man as well as her mplace of work. They shouldn't have screwed you over but in the end it will cost you. Might have to take them to court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queen_k0302
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I would explain to the dealership the situation and give them the address. This will make you look bad if it isn't taken care of.
tarakay0417
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Legally you can take the car. Its in your name. but I have no advice on how to keep the situation from exploding. Good luck.
Shermy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Give them your in laws address and be done with it. Let the repo guy deal with it. 

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Call the police and have them go with you to get it.Have your husband drive you so you can drive the car to your house and have the repo guy come pick it up or drive it back the the dealership that very day.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM

You are not wrong. They are. Give the repo guy their info and be done with it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM

if its in your name call the cops and report it stolen.  If you dont want to go that route id give the repo man all thier addresses for home and work and also phone numbers they can be reached at.   Unfortunatly for you your credit is now jacked up because you have a repo on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN