Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Race in dolls

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you buy dolls for your daughter that are the same race as you are?

I'm shopping for a Little Mommy Doctor doll for my daughter. I can ge them from Amazon for $50, free shipping. I found one on Ebay that the starting bid is only $10 and the shipping is $7. It is new in box, but the dolly is black. I hesitate to purchase it because I'm not sure if my daughter would perfer a dolly that looks like her or if she would even care if her dolly was dark skinned.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I was huge into cabbage patch dolls when I was a kid and I had a black one I named Austin and swore my real son would be named austin someday lol. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM
$17? Are you serious? We just paid $40 for that doll! Lol. And dd has all colors of Barbie dolls. But all her babies have been black ones. But I'm def. Not against buying her a white baby. I guess it really depends on your dd. But when I worked in the daycare, the kids carried around the baby dolls and called them their "babies" no matter what color they were.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nerdy_Mama
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I don't think the race of a doll really matters.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

as long as they are not those slutty looking bratz dolls (or whatever they are called) i dont think the color should matter!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Nope. I try to buy DD dolls of many different races.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is a great deal. I think especially because it is a harder to find doll than the white one. I think I'm going to bid on it. I'm sure my daughter wont mind that she's dark skinned. At 4, she probably doesn't even identify that she is different.

Maybe with the dolly being different from her other dolls, she will actually love it more so.

Quoting So_Devious20:

$17? Are you serious? We just paid $40 for that doll! Lol. And dd has all colors of Barbie dolls. But all her babies have been black ones. But I'm def. Not against buying her a white baby. I guess it really depends on your dd. But when I worked in the daycare, the kids carried around the baby dolls and called them their "babies" no matter what color they were.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM

When I was little I played with different dolls. I didn't realize there was a difference until I got older. They were all babies to me and my daughter is the same way.

muzzyh
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM
My kids get dolls of different races. It doesn't seem to bother them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jasyoung2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I had different races when I was younger. I loved the idea of adopting and still do, so I would ask for different races, so I could act like some were adopted from different places. Also, my best friend was black so I got plenty of black dolls to act like my Barbies and baby dolls could have such an awesome friend as I did :)

Mweddle
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

My daughter is white and she has several black dolls.  When we adopted my son (who is black) he did notice that some of her dolls were black and it was a good thing.  She never noticed.  She is just now starting to notice differences in skin color.  I think its good for kids to have other races of dolls.  Why not? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN