Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Race in dolls

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you buy dolls for your daughter that are the same race as you are?

I'm shopping for a Little Mommy Doctor doll for my daughter. I can ge them from Amazon for $50, free shipping. I found one on Ebay that the starting bid is only $10 and the shipping is $7. It is new in box, but the dolly is black. I hesitate to purchase it because I'm not sure if my daughter would perfer a dolly that looks like her or if she would even care if her dolly was dark skinned.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
sarah427
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM
My daughter loves all of her dolls-she has white, black, and Dora! She used to have an oriental baby doll, but she drew on her with marker. Her favorite is a swimming baby and she is black. My dd doesn't know the first thing about race-either it's cute and she likes it, or not. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shymomof4
by Kristyn on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM
My kids are mixed (black and white). When they picked they usually got the hispanic doll because it matched their skin color. If me or my family bought them we usually got white. If my dh or his family bought them they usually got black. So they had a mixture but played with them equally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM
No. My DD doesn't like dolls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM
I only had black dolls, maybe one white doll. It was a bitch finding black dolls back then. I only buy black dolls for my nieces. Idk that's just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

She can have any doll she wants... I got her a dark baby once, and my cousin got the light version of the same doll, it wasn't planned, lol.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
My daughters are half black/half white. When my oldest was little I bough the dolls she asked for regardless of color. Now she would tend to get black girl dolls and white boy dolls but that is what she saw at home (I am black, dh is white).

But she never really seemed to care.

My youngest is only 10 months so no dolls yet
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blessed.momma
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I had black and white dolls growing up, because I wanted both (I'm white) my daughter also has both, she is biracial. 

nelliesmommy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM
I'm black and I will buy my kids dolls of all races White, black, Dora. My kids are mixed. I bought my oldest a black doll once and my ex white husband got mad at me and said a comment about our kids not being black. Ummmm, stupid, they are half black though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM
.. Not letting her have a black doll would be like me not giving my daughter the option to be Cinderella or snow white for Halloween bc her skin don't match the characters.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Quoting nelliesmommy:

I'm black and I will buy my kids dolls of all races White, black, Dora. My kids are mixed. I bought my oldest a black doll once and my ex white husband got mad at me and said a comment about our kids not being black. Ummmm, stupid, they are half black though.

what an ass.. nice message to send his kids ..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)