Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Race in dolls

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you buy dolls for your daughter that are the same race as you are?

I'm shopping for a Little Mommy Doctor doll for my daughter. I can ge them from Amazon for $50, free shipping. I found one on Ebay that the starting bid is only $10 and the shipping is $7. It is new in box, but the dolly is black. I hesitate to purchase it because I'm not sure if my daughter would perfer a dolly that looks like her or if she would even care if her dolly was dark skinned.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Replies (51-55):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

My DD has all races for dolls.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM

DD is biracial so I buy both -lol- I wouldn't have cared what color doll I had when I was younger... I think it's ,a good thing to have a variety around but TJM/

ChgIsGood2012
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I don't have a daughter, but if I did, I would buy her dolls of all races. Because we live in a multicultural society. When I was growing up, my mom just bought dolls. I didn't even think of black/white at the time, I just liked barbie and thought her hair was cool to braid, LOL. When I was a kid, AA dolls were not out yet I don't think. But it didn't phase me. But since the option is available nowandays, I would get my daughter multicultural dolls.

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM
My dd is mixed Egyptian/Arab and white. She has dolls that are white, black and tan and loves them all. What difference does it make? Your kid is only going to think it's 'odd' if you raise them to think that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Who said that's how I was raising her? She does not have any black dolls. She has some Dora dolls, as she loves Dora, but not actual baby dolls of other colors. Not by choice, but by chance. I haven't purchased a new doll for her ever, everything has been second hand. So if I'm going to be spending the money on a doll, I wanted to make sure she loved it.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

My dd is mixed Egyptian/Arab and white. She has dolls that are white, black and tan and loves them all. What difference does it make? Your kid is only going to think it's 'odd' if you raise them to think that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)