Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

And the boundary setting has begun...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
We just moved back to our hometown, haven't lived here in 6 yrs. already family is assuming we will do things.

Mil called 2 days ago and goes " oh I figured you could give S a ride to the airport on Tuesday so that's the plan".
I'm like no I have to work ALL week

S is DHs dad who is visiting. When he got the plane tickets he refused to pay the $40 extra to fly into the regional airport that is 5 min form anywhere in town. Instead he flew in 2hrs away and just expected who ever to come get him and the. Take him back.
He also has no money for gas...
So then today aunt called and tells DH that mil will watch our kids Tuesday and he will be driving her and S the 2hrs in the car they rented. He asked why S couldn't drive and leave the rental at the airport? They said it was to expensive and aunt does not have her drivers so she can't do it.
DH said he will refuse to pay gas, we are on a very tight budget with just moving and have just enough money for gas for our car.

Same aunt also called wanting a ride to go do errands. She lost her liscense because he couldn't comply with her blow and go. Sil won't take her anymore because she won't pay gas and adds this and that to where she wants to go along the way.

These are some big reasons I did not want to move back here. Just because we have a car that works(because we treat it nice and maintained) it is assumed we will do everything for everyone.
No. No one has ever helped us and we have made our own way.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Start with no and keep saying it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Quoting mommy_me:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Be firm, you will get bashed and talked about behind your back, most likely but be consistent and firm on your boundaries! Good luck.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Just keep saying no. eventually  they will bug out. and obviously if oyu work you can't take them to the airport so looks like they better find a new plan

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I agree, don't give in ever. Sooner or later they will get the point. I have had to do it with my dh's family too.

Quoting mommy_me:

velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Move away! Fast!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mashnut3161
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
DH went and talked to his aunt and she said she had all the gas money. So he is doing it this time(because its no cost to us). His just looking on the side of getting to spend a little extra time with his dad who he hasn't seen in 4yrs.
But yeah NO will be the answer for me, I HAVE to have my car for work and DH only has a motorcycle to they are sol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)