Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no christmas tree war this year!!! yay!!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 23 Replies

If there's one thing I'm thankful for this Christmas, it's that my ex isn't around to argue about the tree and its decorations. Among the many arguments we had:

#1 Artificial or live. I wanted a nice white fake tree, he wanted a live, green, death-by pinesol smelling tree. But he gave in and got me the white tree. But wait! On the way to the checkout he pulled the oh woe is me it's not Christmas without a LIVE tree BS line. So I gave in this time and said FINE, but I've watered and vacuumed up after my mom's tree since I was about 5. YOU are caring for this one. Didn't happen and I was rip shit pissed when pine needles covered my floor for 4 days at a time.

#2 In my household, WW3 was had because we couldn't agree on whether an angel or a star goes on the top of the tree. In the end, we had the most asinine looking Christmas tree ever because there was both an angel and a star on top. This the worst argument out of the lot by far.

#3 We couldn't agree on lights or ornaments. I wanted white and blue lights (to match a white tree) he wanted the 6 color lights with the red, gold, green, and blue ornaments. There was even disagreement about the Christmas stockings colors.

#4 Do we save the ornaments for next year or throw them out? I said save them. Ex husband said it is very very bad luck to reuse the ornaments and especially the tree topper and to throw them out. They're cheap enough, he said.

#5 He's not around to sleepwalk, mistake the tree for a robber, and wrestle it off the back deck this year.

Does your man just let you do the Christmas decorating or do you come to a compromise or what? This year I have a green artificial one...Well it's a start in the right direction I guess.

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommavieve
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Ive never heard of throwing out ornaments. It's a waste and all my ornaments are sentimental
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Omigosh! All that over nothing! We've NEVER argued about Christmas decorations, both of us have taste :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM
No, we don't argue about it. We pretty much agree on everything.

Ps..I agree with him on a white fake tree, I'm okay with a fake tree, but white...no.
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM
DH doesn't care how it's done or even if its done...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jenn on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I don't think we've ever fought over it, since our 2nd year together, when DD was a baby, and we switched from real to fake tree.  Yay, Christmas!

Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I am with him on the real tree thing, it is something that I am admanet about.  He now has come to enjoy going out and cutting our down together as a family.  I can't even imagine throwing out ornaments.  We have ornaments from when I was little and there is probably about a thousand dollars of them on our tree.  We have had disagreements about colored lights versus white lights and I have in and did colored because the kids would enjoy them more.  When we are older I will probably get a second tree that I can decorate my own way.  We tend to  comprimise.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Mommavieve:

Ive never heard of throwing out ornaments. It's a waste and all my ornaments are sentimental

Me neither, until tonight and some of these posts. We have used the same ornaments year after year, adding to them only the ones the kids have made over the years. We totally love our decorations!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I've really never heard of people having white trees aside from a little one for kids. I'm not sure I have even seen them in stores
Chrissy0918
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM
This

Quoting TheMrs407:

DH doesn't care how it's done or even if its done...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Wow. That's crazy, I'd never throw out my ornaments. Some of them are very meaningful and very expensive!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)