Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

God Cant Give You More Than You Can Handle?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is a conversation i just had with my cousin whose mom was killed last night. 

Me and her were talking cuz she also lost her uncle 1 month and 1 day ago.  And a few years ago she lost ehr brother to suicide. 

So as we were talking she tells me  "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle". and this is my response

me: i would agree with that but i cant

her: ?

me: if you think about life. if people could handle what was given to them, why do some commit suicide? Why do some of them turn to drugs? Alcohol? Now not everyone turns to this stuff when faced with hard times, but there are alot that do and they dont come back. does that make sense?

her: Yeah I can understand where your coming from

me: there are people who can handle it but then there are people who cant. If people do take the time to stop and think about what they are going through and sit down and breathe then maybe yes. but not everyone can do that. Also there are those people who are going through so much and people do say "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle" but im reality yes he would. trial and tribulation. its his way of seeing what you can and cant handle and if you are strong enough to "come back" from it so to speak. And when someone is going through alot, really the last thing they probably want to hear is "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle", and i say this because (and i am not a christian but i do believe in higher powers, no one knows what they are thinking or what they have planned for someone in this life or the next life. does that make sense?

her: Yeah I see what your saying

me: i think you are the first one who does.  lol

her: Lol. Really?

me: yea really

her: Oh wow

me: im friends with alot of Christians(and i have no problem with the christian religion mind you) but alot of christians dont want to see anything from a different point of view. Not all christians are like that but alot that i have come across are

her: yeah i know what you meanl 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Replies (161-169):
heartnhidin
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Why would you doubt her beliefs? Especially in a time when she needs her faith to carry her through. I agree with your cousins statement. God never puts too much on our shoulders. That doesn't mean everyone will handle things correctly or the same. Yes, some turn to self medication. And some choose to end their lives. Some people just don't know how to handle certain situations, or doubt themselves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikkib01
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Ok. Now you do sound really ignorant. This woman is not retarded. You may want to just build a better vocabulary if you cannot find any other possible word.

Quoting Anonymous:

people like you are the reason I can't stop calling people RETARDED no matter how wrong it is

have a nice evening

Quoting Anonymous:

you are sweetcheeks.  cuz we were not talking about her.  we were talking in GENERAL.  but see you jump to the assumption you knew what was said before that phrase was said.  thats ignorance my dear.   i know exactly how she feels as i have been exactly where she is.  

and again it was the statement in general  ;)

feel free to stay in your ignorance

Quoting Anonymous:

i'm far from ignorant honey

but who are you to discount how your cousin feels....

if she said god won't give her more than she can handle who are you to tell her that is wrong

Quoting Anonymous:

actually no my cousin died cuz he didnt get the help he needed when he needed it in the first place. even my cousin has said that and said that to her mother. 

Do not assume to know what it is i am saying. He couldnt handle what was being thrown at him, cuz he didnt have anyone there for him when he needed it. he felt alone. 

she is dealing with her. she has even stated her mother is better off, cuz she is not around to hurt herself or anyone else.   but hey like with another one, ignorance is apart of life. one most people grow out of. i hope you grow out of it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

based on your cousins responses it sounds like she just didn't want to engage in this conversation with you....

hoe do u have this conversation with someone the night of her mothers death when she is trying her best to deal with it.

you basically said her brother died because he couldnt handle life...

you sound like a bitch to me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I agree that some are handed more then they can handle.  I hate that expression, when people say that.  I can tell you this much, there have been times in my life that I had HORRIBLE things happen(I had a still birth and just a few months later my mom got lung cancer and died, completely unexpected as she was still young and did not smoke). If anyone had told me at that time that god did not give me more than I can handle, that is one big crock, I am sorry.  I was also severely bullied, gang raped and married to an abusive alcoholic who hurt me.  Somehow I am still here, but if someone was to tell me god does not give you more than you can handle, I would smack the crap out of them. When you tell someone this, they think if they had been a weak person, their life's journey would not have been so horrible.  End of story.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Quoting heartnhidin:

Why would you doubt her beliefs? Especially in a time when she needs her faith to carry her through. I agree with your cousins statement. God never puts too much on our shoulders. That doesn't mean everyone will handle things correctly or the same. Yes, some turn to self medication. And some choose to end their lives. Some people just don't know how to handle certain situations, or doubt themselves.

and some are given more than they can handle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Disagree. While I do believe god has a part in everything we do, I completly disagree that he has the power/will to change our futures. He give us the tools, if we fuck it up, oh well.

are you implying that people who have suffered tremendously did something to deserve that? W OW, must be nice to live a life so filled with bliss

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM
So what about people who mentally regress and have breakdowns from stress? They don't choose to crack, it just happens.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with this.  God doesn't give more than a person can handle and will help you handle things if you have faith and trust.  YOu have to reach out and ask for help.  If you choose not to ask and try to handle things in your own strength, you may not be able to handle everything.  Life is made up of choices. 

Quoting momto2boys973:

G-d doesn't give you more than what you CAN handle. It doesn't mean you will handle it. You could handle it, you have the capacity and the strength to do so, but people who commit suicide choose not to handle it.
What you're capable of doing and what you actually do are 2 different things

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Even with all the problems we're facing now in our family, I disagree with you. To me it's true, God doesn't give you more than you can handle & while sometimes I feel like the bridge to the other side is going to just collapse, I would never make a choice to "take the easy way out", mask my problems with drugs or excessive alcohol or worse, suicide. Didn't growing up, your parents tell you "life ain't easy"? 'Cause I know mine did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM
I am so sorry for everything you have been through. ((Hugs))

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that some are handed more then they can handle.  I hate that expression, when people say that.  I can tell you this much, there have been times in my life that I had HORRIBLE things happen(I had a still birth and just a few months later my mom got lung cancer and died, completely unexpected as she was still young and did not smoke). If anyone had told me at that time that god did not give me more than I can handle, that is one big crock, I am sorry.  I was also severely bullied, gang raped and married to an abusive alcoholic who hurt me.  Somehow I am still here, but if someone was to tell me god does not give you more than you can handle, I would smack the crap out of them. When you tell someone this, they think if they had been a weak person, their life's journey would not have been so horrible.  End of story.

bxmom2580
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM
I think that saying is bullshit
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN