Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

God Cant Give You More Than You Can Handle?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is a conversation i just had with my cousin whose mom was killed last night. 

Me and her were talking cuz she also lost her uncle 1 month and 1 day ago.  And a few years ago she lost ehr brother to suicide. 

So as we were talking she tells me  "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle". and this is my response

me: i would agree with that but i cant

her: ?

me: if you think about life. if people could handle what was given to them, why do some commit suicide? Why do some of them turn to drugs? Alcohol? Now not everyone turns to this stuff when faced with hard times, but there are alot that do and they dont come back. does that make sense?

her: Yeah I can understand where your coming from

me: there are people who can handle it but then there are people who cant. If people do take the time to stop and think about what they are going through and sit down and breathe then maybe yes. but not everyone can do that. Also there are those people who are going through so much and people do say "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle" but im reality yes he would. trial and tribulation. its his way of seeing what you can and cant handle and if you are strong enough to "come back" from it so to speak. And when someone is going through alot, really the last thing they probably want to hear is "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle", and i say this because (and i am not a christian but i do believe in higher powers, no one knows what they are thinking or what they have planned for someone in this life or the next life. does that make sense?

her: Yeah I see what your saying

me: i think you are the first one who does.  lol

her: Lol. Really?

me: yea really

her: Oh wow

me: im friends with alot of Christians(and i have no problem with the christian religion mind you) but alot of christians dont want to see anything from a different point of view. Not all christians are like that but alot that i have come across are

her: yeah i know what you meanl 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
Phoebe-81
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM
That's why I'm conflicted. What she's been through improved her relationship with God. She says the only way she got through any of that is by clinging to God. I think it's more of what you use as a coping mechanism.

Quoting Anonymous:

she sure has been through alot.  but thats where it comes in of "not everyone can mentally handle it or emotionally handle it"  

i think alot of people but too much stock in god giving this and god giving that. 

not everyone is able to go through what your mom has endured

Quoting Phoebe-81:

Actually, IDK where I stand on this. My mom is a 3 time cancer survivor and has lost a dad, stepdad, a brother, and one of her sons. She's also miscarried 3 babies and is a child abuse survivor. She's one of the most upbeat people I know. She's incredibly strong and is still very positive. But, she has an amazing relationship with God and has leaned on him through it all. Sooo, I don't know about this one

Quoting Phoebe-81:

That and "It was just his/her time." annoy the crap out of me. Or also, " at least you have other siblings/children/whatever the person was who died was to you." These are all things you should never say to a grieving person. Just saying.

Anywho, on to the topic at hand. I agree with you to an extent

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

If you believe (in God) then you might also believe that God won't give you anything you can't handle.  Many (most) times that is all that is required.  If you believe you can handle it (anything)-then you can.  If you believe you can't (for whatever reason)-then you can't.  The mind (and/or faith) can overcome almost anything.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM

but you are not even giving to the conversation

state why you feel it is a cop out.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, I just feel the phrase is total bullshit. It's a cop out for whoever is saying it.

Quoting Anonymous:

very insightful. 

thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

Total bullshit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM
God doesn't give you anything. We are born. We all deal with our own stuff. Our choices change our lives. The choices of others also affect our lives... We either find ways to deal or we don't. Then we die. The end.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
This was an annoying conversation. Obviously she didn't want to talk and you kept bitching. She's the one struggling and you're acting like you know all of everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

well feel free to disagree with me, but dont you think it is her mindset that is helping her through.  she has the belief that a magical being is there with her at all times. Could it be the mindset that is getting her through everything?

not saying that is how it is with your mom or anyone else, but it is a possibility

Quoting Phoebe-81:

That's why I'm conflicted. What she's been through improved her relationship with God. She says the only way she got through any of that is by clinging to God. I think it's more of what you use as a coping mechanism.

Quoting Anonymous:

she sure has been through alot.  but thats where it comes in of "not everyone can mentally handle it or emotionally handle it"  

i think alot of people but too much stock in god giving this and god giving that. 

not everyone is able to go through what your mom has endured

Quoting Phoebe-81:

Actually, IDK where I stand on this. My mom is a 3 time cancer survivor and has lost a dad, stepdad, a brother, and one of her sons. She's also miscarried 3 babies and is a child abuse survivor. She's one of the most upbeat people I know. She's incredibly strong and is still very positive. But, she has an amazing relationship with God and has leaned on him through it all. Sooo, I don't know about this one

Quoting Phoebe-81:

That and "It was just his/her time." annoy the crap out of me. Or also, " at least you have other siblings/children/whatever the person was who died was to you." These are all things you should never say to a grieving person. Just saying.

Anywho, on to the topic at hand. I agree with you to an extent

mich.el.le
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

That's not biblical anyway (that He won't give you more than you can handle).  Faith isn't faith unless you don't have what you need and have to rely on Him to provide it.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

CheyanneW
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I am Gnostic, so what I believe is that we all write or own charts. We come here to learn. The harder the path chosen the faster you learn and advance. Since the other side is so great and perfect we sometimes forget exactly how hard life on earth is. So it's not that God gave us something we couldn't handle it's that we didn't realize just how hard it would be. Some of us can get over zealous in the quest to perfect our souls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM

wow what an intelligent reply. 

actually me and my cousin talk religion all the time.  no one was bitching.  you have obviously found offense to what i say. never said i know it all. i said my BELIEF! 

guess that is something you cannot understand.  its ok though. 

ignorance is a part of life and something people GENERALLY outgrow.  hope you outgrow it

Quoting Anonymous:

This was an annoying conversation. Obviously she didn't want to talk and you kept bitching. She's the one struggling and you're acting like you know all of everything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Because it trivializes what people go through. I know people mean it as a "comfort" thing, but it's like saying "hey, it could be worse, don't sweat it". Saying that to someone suffering through a horrible loss or time in their life is rude, IMO. No one wants to hear that this is "in the plan" or could be worse when they are already feeling horrible. I know some can pull strength from it, but most probably want to tell the person to STFU, KWIM?

Quoting Anonymous:

but you are not even giving to the conversation

state why you feel it is a cop out.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, I just feel the phrase is total bullshit. It's a cop out for whoever is saying it.

Quoting Anonymous:

very insightful. 

thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

Total bullshit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)