Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

God Cant Give You More Than You Can Handle?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is a conversation i just had with my cousin whose mom was killed last night. 

Me and her were talking cuz she also lost her uncle 1 month and 1 day ago.  And a few years ago she lost ehr brother to suicide. 

So as we were talking she tells me  "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle". and this is my response

me: i would agree with that but i cant

her: ?

me: if you think about life. if people could handle what was given to them, why do some commit suicide? Why do some of them turn to drugs? Alcohol? Now not everyone turns to this stuff when faced with hard times, but there are alot that do and they dont come back. does that make sense?

her: Yeah I can understand where your coming from

me: there are people who can handle it but then there are people who cant. If people do take the time to stop and think about what they are going through and sit down and breathe then maybe yes. but not everyone can do that. Also there are those people who are going through so much and people do say "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle" but im reality yes he would. trial and tribulation. its his way of seeing what you can and cant handle and if you are strong enough to "come back" from it so to speak. And when someone is going through alot, really the last thing they probably want to hear is "god wouldnt give you anymore than you can handle", and i say this because (and i am not a christian but i do believe in higher powers, no one knows what they are thinking or what they have planned for someone in this life or the next life. does that make sense?

her: Yeah I see what your saying

me: i think you are the first one who does.  lol

her: Lol. Really?

me: yea really

her: Oh wow

me: im friends with alot of Christians(and i have no problem with the christian religion mind you) but alot of christians dont want to see anything from a different point of view. Not all christians are like that but alot that i have come across are

her: yeah i know what you meanl 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I agree with that and I don't think you should have said that to her. If that's what she needs to believe to get through it who in the hell are you to say otherwise?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM

ok so you are agreeing with me?  lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Because it trivializes what people go through. I know people mean it as a "comfort" thing, but it's like saying "hey, it could be worse, don't sweat it". Saying that to someone suffering through a horrible loss or time in their life is rude, IMO. No one wants to hear that this is "in the plan" or could be worse when they are already feeling horrible. I know some can pull strength from it, but most probably want to tell the person to STFU, KWIM?

Quoting Anonymous:

but you are not even giving to the conversation

state why you feel it is a cop out.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, I just feel the phrase is total bullshit. It's a cop out for whoever is saying it.

Quoting Anonymous:

very insightful. 

thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

Total bullshit.

LovelyMommy24
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

This was an annoying conversation. Obviously she didn't want to talk and you kept bitching. She's the one struggling and you're acting like you know all of everything.

I agree. Who the f*ck says this to someone grieving? Really? Let the poor girl believe whatever she wants to, if it helps her through it! Good Lord.

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Oh for the love of Jesus, turning to BAD remedies will make life worse! It definitely will not help.

When people say that, I'm guessing what they mean is God wants the person to ome to them for help and to ome loser to their faith. You'd have to be understanding of religion to be able to embrace what that really means...not everyone believes this or can find the logic in it. But, religiously observant people do see the meaning behind God only gives you what you can handle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

um she is my cousin and we talk about stuff like this all the time.  what did i say otherwise?  MY BELIEF?  lol.   she is not going to change how she thinks or feels over my belief... lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with that and I don't think you should have said that to her. If that's what she needs to believe to get through it who in the hell are you to say otherwise?

Apollos82
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
God gives us more than we can handle on a daily basis because He doesn't want US to handle it. He wants us to turn to HIM for help and answers and grace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KWnavywife
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Actually the Bible doesn't say God won't give you more than you more than you can handle. It says you won't be tempted more than you can bare. We are dealt hands all the time that we can't handle, thats where resting in Christ and letting Him take the burden comes in to play. I know *I* may not be able to handle it on my own but I have a God who will give me the strength to get through.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

God only gives you as much as you can handle as long as you come to Him for help. If you turn to other things to *help* then you end up on your own. This verse is one I run to when I think things are getting too hard.

Jeremiah 29:11-14

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.[b] I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

no one said anything about the bible saying it or not saying it

Quoting KWnavywife:

Actually the Bible doesn't say God won't give you more than you more than you can handle. It says you won't be tempted more than you can bare. We are dealt hands all the time that we can't handle, thats where resting in Christ and letting Him take the burden comes in to play. I know *I* may not be able to handle it on my own but I have a God who will give me the strength to get through.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM
based on your cousins responses it sounds like she just didn't want to engage in this conversation with you....

hoe do u have this conversation with someone the night of her mothers death when she is trying her best to deal with it.

you basically said her brother died because he couldnt handle life...

you sound like a bitch to me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)