Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What Are Your Kids Reading?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm always looking for good books to turn my kids onto. Right now my kids are reading-

Four year old son (almost five)- Finished Leonardo da Vinci from the Magic Treehouse Series tonight

Ten year old brother (I'm the guardian of my siblings)- To Kill a Mockingbird

13 year old sister- A Tale of Two Cities

17 year old brother- The Great Gatsby

and I read our (almost) month old son Stellaluna tonight.

What are your kids reading?

Also, our church is having a book sale, people from all over town donated books, the church is selling them and the profits go to charities, each of the kids are getting three books for Christmas and we have the books for all of the kids except for our four year old, who will be turning five five days after Christmas. So far we got him Leonardo da Vinci's Journal of Inventions which is a pop up book of his inventions and sketches, but we are looking for two more reading books as well, we wanted two more reading books as well. Theres one that we are considering called The Tree of Life: A Book Depicting the Life of Charles Darwin: Naturalist, Geologist & Thinker, we would probably have to read it with him because it's a little more difficult and dense then what he's used to but he loves science so we know he would like it, and we are looking for one more book, something that's more "fun." He can read basic childrens chapter books, like Little House on the Prarie and Magic Treehouse, but has trouble with books with larger more complicated words. It's okay if it has some more challenging language, we can help him along, just not anything too tough. He likes chapter books that he can read on his own. Any suggestion and have you read the other two that we are getting him?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Whats that about?

Quoting Anonymous:

Gardians of ga'hool

NicholasMama608
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

My 4 1/2yr old loves DR Seuss.

TexasWife
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I read my son Harry Potter when he was 3. Only a chapter a night. lol. I wanted to read it and thought why not?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Owls. Im not sure if I spelled it correctly or not. My daughter loved the books and they were educational as well. She learned about owl pellets and all.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Whats that about?

Quoting Anonymous:

Gardians of ga'hool

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Do you have all your shots?

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL bite me.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could use the Midol a bit more but what the hell, why not just mix alcohol and meds? You need something heavy to take the edge off.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, but a beer would be nice.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wanna Midol?

Quoting Anonymous:

Wanna cookie? :)

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM

we love the magic tree house series!! our son is 6 1/2. we are between chapter books. currently reading everything thats christmas over and over again (we read 3 books a night either 3 picture type books or a couple of chapters then 2 other books). my 6 1/2 picks 1, and my 2 year old picks one and i pick one they will both like.

LucyHarper
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I love Dr.Seuss and have been trying to get my four year old into them. He's not big on short books, he really likes books that he can read over time, something about having some suspense when he goes to bed, but he does like some of them a lot.

Quoting NicholasMama608:

NicholasMama608
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I can read fox in socks quickly and he loves when I do it.  I have to read it like every night.  LOL

Quoting LucyHarper:

I love Dr.Seuss and have been trying to get my four year old into them. He's not big on short books, he really likes books that he can read over time, something about having some suspense when he goes to bed, but he does like some of them a lot.

Quoting NicholasMama608:

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I've been thinking about Harry Potter, but I'm not quite sure if he's ready yet. He's really big on reading on his own or too us, going through an independence thing, he does fine with chapter books with simple easy to sound out words, but some of the language in Harry Potter is a little more advanced.

Quoting TexasWife:

I read my son Harry Potter when he was 3. Only a chapter a night. lol. I wanted to read it and thought why not?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM
He's 6 and can't read yet but I read him anything and everything. Right now we are going through my goosebumps collection.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)