Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I abnormal or do all women know this? Edit in red

Posted by   + Show Post

I just turned 26 and don't know what some terms like cervix means. I was just never taught and never asked anyone.  How do you all know what everything is?

I didn't learn any of this in school. In middle school we learned about getting our "special friend" and how to use a pad.  High school biology taught us the internal organs of frogs...

While I was pregnant, my ob did say at the end how dilated my cervix was.  I know what dilation means and I know where the babies head comes out, so I just figured.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Replies (31-40):
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Health class. Basic knowledge of ones own body. No one should be uneducated about these things.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I had to learn much later in life. I knew so little when I got married at 32.  There were some things I asked not long before I got married and looked up as well.  I wasn't taught either.  

mamabear55
by sweetheart on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Quoting Thelmama:

I had to learn much later in life. I knew so little when I got married at 32.  There were some things I asked not long before I got married and looked up as well.  I wasn't taught either.  

Thank you! Makes me feel better!

lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Your cervix is what dilates when you give birth, your cervix is is where the sperm travels through, holds baby in and also that's where your period comes out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheena696
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Yeah, I learned all of this at a young age. For one, I am the baby of 3 girls in my famiy and our mother made sure we were knew all that we should about our bodies. And then we did have all that in our classes in school as well.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I had a roommate I asked questions of and read etc.  I didn't know what questions to ask or how to ask the questions.  My room mate was like a sister. I am so thankful she was there.  Find someone you trust and ask questions.  That of course was before google..LOL.  

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting Thelmama:

Thank you! Makes me feel better!

mamabear55
by sweetheart on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Quoting lovelove211:

Your cervix is what dilates when you give birth, your cervix is is where the sperm travels through, holds baby in and also that's where your period comes out.

Then I do know, but last night I said that my cervix has an odd shape and I can't wear a tampon and someone told me there's no way a tampon can fit in your cervix because your cervix is much too big.  I figured I was just wrong

brandie1470
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Are you from central florida too? i knew the word but not exactly its purpose until i got pregnant

mamabear55
by sweetheart on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Quoting brandie1470:

Are you from central florida too? i knew the word but not exactly its purpose until i got pregnant

No I'm from arkansas

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Just you!

Wait one second you don't know what your cervix is and you've had a kid? Oh please please do a google search for female reproductive parts and educate yourself!! That's just sad!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured