Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you feel if it was your child...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 21 Replies

A 7-year-old girl suffering from leukemia is one of Oregon's youngest medical marijuana patients.

Her mother says she gives her daughter marijuana pills to combat the effects of chemotherapy, but her father, who lives in North Dakota, worries about the effects of the drug on her brain development.

Mykayla Comstock was diagnosed with leukemia last spring. Her mother treats her with a gram of cannabis oil daily, The Oregonian reported.

Mykayla's mother credits the drug for the leukemia's remission. "As a mother, I am going to try anything before she can potentially fall on the other side," said Erin Purchase, 25, who with her boyfriend administers Mykayla's cannabis.

The girl says the drug helps her eat and sleep but also makes her feel "funny."

"It helps me eat and sleep," Mykayla said. "The chemotherapy makes you feel like you want to stay up all night long."

Mykayla's father, who is divorced from the girl's mother, was so disturbed by his daughter's marijuana use that he contacted child welfare officials, police and her oncologist. The father, Jesse Comstock, said his concerns were prompted by a visit with Mykayla in August.

"She was stoned out of her mind," said Comstock, 26. "All she wanted to do was lay on the bed and play video games."

Comstock, who works in a North Dakota oil field, pays child support to Purchase and covers Mykayla's health insurance. He said he observed strange behavior during an August visit and took Mykayla to a private lab, where technicians detected THC levels of an adult daily marijuana user.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/26/7-year-old-girl-one-oregon-youngest-medical-marijuana-patients/#ixzz2DLC2AyDS

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tarakay0417
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM
6 moms liked this
If it was my child, I would try anything to save him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM

BUMP!

mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

BUMP!

aimhawk
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do damn near anything to keep my children from suffering.

2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I would do it in the blink of an eye! My dad is in remission from lukeima and told me that if it weren't for Mary Jane, he wouldn't have been able to eat or sleep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momwith2monkeys
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM

if it were my child i would and will do anything to help them.

PiNkIsPuNk
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Anything to help my child sleep and be more comfortable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewMamaBoo
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I'd try anything. Poor girl. 

FL2AK
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I think that the mother should have involved the father in the decision to use medical marijuana.

spicy_n_sweet
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I would feel all sorts of emotions if my young child was battling leukemia.

I would most definitely use anything, including marijuana, to ease my child's pain, suffering and side affects of the chemo they were having to endure.

If it matters any. I am an Oregonian and I think what the mother is doing is more than fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN