Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Artificial Trees: Pre-lit or Not?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM
  • 34 Replies

DH is buying me a new Christmas Tree this year as my Christmas gift.  I'm trying to decide if I want a taller tree without lights or a shorter pre-lit (trying to stay under $100). 

If you have an artificial tree, is it pre-lit? Pros? Cons?  Help me decide.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM
I personally like a prelit, but we always get a fresh tree. I have a small prelit (about 4 foot) that I put on a box covered with a Christmas skirt to raise it up and put it in the foyer. It's fun for the kids to decorate it.
haileys_mommy06
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I think having a prelit tree is easier. 

Babujai
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting haileys_mommy06:

Is it easy to change out the bulbs when they burn out?

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

addykarder19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I got a prelit one a few years ago.. and its nice because its less work because I can keep it together all year because i have a big enough storage spot.. I wouldn't like it if I had to connect back together every year (to many wires). But to be honest I kind of miss being able to change the color of the lights each year.. I have a multi colored one. 

do11face
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Pre-lit is definitely easier BUT one section of our lights on our pre-lit tree went out and there wasn't any way to fix it. So, now out pre-lit lights has lights strung on it, lol.

SommerRayne06
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I hate pre lit trees. I bought 3 of then, two outdoor ones and one indoor one. All three had a section of lights go out in the middle of the season on the second year, it was frustrating because they were already decorated and I didn't have the time to undecorate them to find the blown bulb. I will NEVER buy pre lit again. It is a waste of money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muzzyh
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Pre lot plus more lights. I like a lot of lights.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
haileys_mommy06
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

They come with extra bulbs. DH is the one that would change out the bulbs and has never had an issue. We have an artificial tree, but it isn't prelit. I wish it was. It's such a hassle to make sure the strand lights are on right. I'm picky, lol. 

Quoting Babujai:

Quoting haileys_mommy06:

Is it easy to change out the bulbs when they burn out?

mariesmama
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

i love stringing lights ,plugging them in to see if they still work the next yr  the prelit ones have too many lights in my opinion

SaraLovesEli29
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Ours is prelit and it's so much easier. We don't have to put lights on it and it makes the decorating process go by quicker.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)