Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

same number of christmas gifts?

so another post got me thinking.do you make sure your kids have the same number of gifts? i have never made her my kids get the same number i have always just got them what they asked for and liked.im not going to buy crap they dont need just to make the gifts even..its never been a problem they are 3 and 5 and i dont think they have ever even noticed.this yr my 5 yr old is only getting a few things because she only asked for 2 things and she is going on a shopping trip to the americn girl store with her daddy and my 2 younger boy will have alot more gifts then her. and it wont be a problem since she will get what she asked for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Replies (61-68):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM

i always get the same amount of gifts and spend equal amounts of money on each child.  they are 3 & 5 as well, and i have been doing this since my youngest had her 1st christmas.

MrsWhite101610
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I only have one child right now but when we have more I'll base it on the amount I spend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Not when the 2 are big and the 15 are small, and I know from experiance. It's common sense, more expensive gifts means less gifts, and my kids aren't all "gimmee" about presents anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe any kid would be cool with someone getting 15 to their 2. Idc how well behaved and.perfect your preschooler is. 15 to 2 is a huge difference and will be noted

Quoting LucyHarper:

My son is four and has a basic understanding of money. He understands that his gift cost more then his brothers, which is why his younger brother has more things. That doesn't make him depressed. I wouldn't feel weird if I got one expensive present and others got a bunch of little presents. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think for any kid watching your siblings opening gifts long after you've opened yours would be awkward and depressing. I don't get my kids the same number, but 2 to 15 is a huge difference. Even as an adult that would make me.feel weird opening two compared to everyone else's 15.

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

why not i mean if one kid is getting a 400$ gift why buy a bunch of other stuff they dont really need or want just to make the numbers even.my dd will have 2 gifts under the tree and my 2 boys will have about 10-15 gifts she wont care because she got what she asked for.plus they get gifts from family

Quoting Anonymous:

Not exactly, no. I mean I wouldn't get one kid one present and the other like fifteen or anything. If there ended up being a couple more for one or the other though, I wouldn't sweat it.

DOMTITI
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I never worried about that. My children never counted or worried about how much their siblings had. They are just grateful and happy for their siblings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Yes I do or close to. Usually it's the same but this year I got the boys more expensive toys so I got my daughter a few extra things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM
maybe your kids care how many gifts they get but thankfully i have been doing a good job teaching my kids that its not all about how much stuff you get.her brothers stuff in smaller since he is in to thomas the train he got alot of thomas the tran stuff so that makes it more.and well the baby will be 2 months old at christmas and he got alot of clothes and some toys so again that makes it more.she asked for a nintendo 3ds and a furby and she got it and some games in her stocking.when asking her what else she wants so i could get her more she said nothing.and because i can afford to buy my kids stuff all yr long and not worry about it there is nothing else she need or wants.but i will say this since she only asked for 2 things her father is taking her on a shipping trip to NYC to go to the american gift store to get a new doll and to have lunch and buy some stuff to go with her dolls.no problems here she will be excited to have what she asked for and wont even care that her brothers got more gifts then her

Oh wait hold on she will have 4 gifts under the tree she will have a gift from each of her brothers so ill probably get her the lalaloopsy tree house from the baby and then what ever the 3yr old picks out for her

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe any kid would be cool with someone getting 15 to their 2. Idc how well behaved and.perfect your preschooler is. 15 to 2 is a huge difference and will be noted

Quoting LucyHarper:

My son is four and has a basic understanding of money. He understands that his gift cost more then his brothers, which is why his younger brother has more things. That doesn't make him depressed. I wouldn't feel weird if I got one expensive present and others got a bunch of little presents. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think for any kid watching your siblings opening gifts long after you've opened yours would be awkward and depressing. I don't get my kids the same number, but 2 to 15 is a huge difference. Even as an adult that would make me.feel weird opening two compared to everyone else's 15.

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

why not i mean if one kid is getting a 400$ gift why buy a bunch of other stuff they dont really need or want just to make the numbers even.my dd will have 2 gifts under the tree and my 2 boys will have about 10-15 gifts she wont care because she got what she asked for.plus they get gifts from family

Quoting Anonymous:

Not exactly, no. I mean I wouldn't get one kid one present and the other like fifteen or anything. If there ended up being a couple more for one or the other though, I wouldn't sweat it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Same number of gifts. I can always find books, clothes etc to even things up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

LOL no, who counts gifts? If my kids counted to see who got more I would smack them.

my dd noticed at 5 last year when my in laws got her 3 gifts but her 2 older sisters got a dozen. She did not understand the cost value and we felt bad for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)