Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why do some of you dislike the military? *slight edit

Posted by   + Show Post

There is another post bout vaccines and the military and some of the moms seemed to really dislike the military. I understand not want to join or not wanting your kids or so to join but some of them seemed to have a very low opinion of people in the military and I am not sure why.

If you can state your opinion in a way that isn't offensive that's fine just remember its your opinion and not fact.

*so a lot of you are saying it is because of the sense of entitlement they (the military and their families) have. Can I just ask what you are basing this on. Is it through personal experience?  Is it from a large pool of military people you have interacting with or is it based on a few people you know?

I ask becaue I know people not in the military that feel that sense of entitlement for whatever reason and I don't think it has to do with their career choice, it is more a personality flaw. I know military that do feel entitled but I know more that don't.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (201-210):
BrookeAraiza
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Sometimes I am extremely embarrassed and cautious when stating that I am an Army Wife because of the Army Wives that have given us such a bad name. There are a majority of wives that feel they are entitled to everything the world has to offer and when asked will spill everything about their lives that is so horrible but forgets the benefits they do have that I am actually very grateful for. They forget the only reason they get the benefits they do is because they met a man, fell in love and got married. He's the reason you have the benefits, you did nothing to earn them. There are also wives who are super lazy and do nothing but sit at home and argue with other wives over who has the most depressing life or who's situation is worse than the other's. These 2 types of wives seem to be the ones who get the most attention. So I totally can see why civilians would have this idea of us. Let me just say as an Army Wife, they irritate me as well and you have every right to not like them but please don't let them ruin our reputation as a whole. (:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I deal with LTCs and colonels all the time.  They make 140-180k a year, have a really nice house paid for, get to shop at the PX for cut rate items, and get free medical care.  When one of them was going to hit 20 years they gave him a year of classes to train him on how to deal with the real world.  I think many people think the officers are overpaid, while those in the line of fire are grossly underpaid.  I like the military though.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate war but not the people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JayeC2
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I am curious about the entitlement thing too....I'm an Army wife, and I'm not sure exactly what it is I'm supposed to feel entitled to.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Agreed!!! I'm an Air Force wife. Plenty of these wives are overly judgmental, and super shady IMO. I don't even bother with most of them. Last time I did, I ended up getting burned really bad. I won't be making that mistake again.

Quoting ebbierowe:

Well heck I dislike those wives too and I am a Air Force wife. I avoid them...

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't dislike the military,  I do dislike some of their wives because of their snotty entitled attitudes though!

Moe1521
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM
My husband is in the Air Force. I will never support the war, but I will ALWAYS support the men and woman who are willing to risk everything for me to keep my rights.

I'm not sure about the whole entitlement thing though.
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

(Gasp, not anon!)

I have a huge problem with parents in the military. Growing up my dad traveled for work. He'd fly to Chicago on Monday and fly home on Friday. Sometimes. He had 2 lives in 2 cities. Yeah, we were rich but I missed my dad. I have the personal experience to back my opinion.

Moving on. DH has a cousin who is in the Navy. She married a guy (non-Navy) and had a kid. Fine. They divorced. Fine. He moved back to Illinois and she stayed on her ship. Ok, so where is the kid? Kid is at Grandmas for YEARS. DH's cousin contract or whatever was up and SHE RENEWED. Ok, I get it, she loves her job... but what about her kid? She loves her job so much that she can be away from her kid forever? It's not like she was working to support her kid, grandma took care of everything.

Anyway, moving on to another point. You see these videos of kids being surprised when a deployed parent comes home to surprise them after so many months. It's not heart-warming, its heart BREAKING. The parent is CHOOSING to be away from their child. You cannot tell me that a 10 year old's dad has been "stuck" at his job all of these years. He had an out.

So I have a huge problem with military parents because I was miserable as a child only seeing my dad on weekends and I think it would hurt way more to not see a parent for months on end over a job choice. It broke my heart watching DH's cousin's daughter grow up in town playing with our DD and never seeing her mom. Mom would find a random weekend to come home and we would do big family get togethers and mom would be all hurt that her daughter went to everyone else in the family first for comfort. Well duh. She doesn't really KNOW you.

Whatever. No one needs to justify their reasons to me. I'm sure plenty of people will be all "My kid is proud of their parent for defending our country" That's great. It will make a great college admissions essay I'm sure. We all need hardship and times of hopelessness as children to fuel our admissions essays.

xomrsweaver
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I can respect the job the military does. But when it comes to having a family and being in the army, I don't understand it. I would never have a job where I risk my life every day, spending months on end away from them. I don't think its fair to do that to your family. Many return only to have mental illnesses that make them unfit for parenting. I do also believe a lot have a sense of entitlement, such as "I'm fighting for your freedom so I deserve utmost respect". I also know a lot who join the army only to shoot things. That may sound incredibly ignorant, but i've met several who joined to kill and not to support their family or fight for their country.  I don't ever disrespect military, but most that i've met, and i've met and know lots, aren't the most respectable people.

illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

My high school sweet heart enrolled in the Army so he could go shoot things. He was fascinated with guns and wanted to "play" with them. He was a dumbass. Thank goodness the idiot got out first and had kids second.

Quoting xomrsweaver:

Personally, I can respect the job the military does. But when it comes to having a family and being in the army, I don't understand it. I would never have a job where I risk my life every day, spending months on end away from them. I don't think its fair to do that to your family. Many return only to have mental illnesses that make them unfit for parenting. I do also believe a lot have a sense of entitlement, such as "I'm fighting for your freedom so I deserve utmost respect". I also know a lot who join the army only to shoot things. That may sound incredibly ignorant, but i've met several who joined to kill and not to support their family or fight for their country.  I don't ever disrespect military, but most that i've met, and i've met and know lots, aren't the most respectable people.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Well persoanlly my husband has never been delpoyed. He will have to an unaccompanied tour for a year at some point. The longest he has been gone is maybe 6 months.

It is very unlikely he will be delpoyed because of his job.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

(Gasp, not anon!)

I have a huge problem with parents in the military. Growing up my dad traveled for work. He'd fly to Chicago on Monday and fly home on Friday. Sometimes. He had 2 lives in 2 cities. Yeah, we were rich but I missed my dad. I have the personal experience to back my opinion.

Moving on. DH has a cousin who is in the Navy. She married a guy (non-Navy) and had a kid. Fine. They divorced. Fine. He moved back to Illinois and she stayed on her ship. Ok, so where is the kid? Kid is at Grandmas for YEARS. DH's cousin contract or whatever was up and SHE RENEWED. Ok, I get it, she loves her job... but what about her kid? She loves her job so much that she can be away from her kid forever? It's not like she was working to support her kid, grandma took care of everything.

Anyway, moving on to another point. You see these videos of kids being surprised when a deployed parent comes home to surprise them after so many months. It's not heart-warming, its heart BREAKING. The parent is CHOOSING to be away from their child. You cannot tell me that a 10 year old's dad has been "stuck" at his job all of these years. He had an out.

So I have a huge problem with military parents because I was miserable as a child only seeing my dad on weekends and I think it would hurt way more to not see a parent for months on end over a job choice. It broke my heart watching DH's cousin's daughter grow up in town playing with our DD and never seeing her mom. Mom would find a random weekend to come home and we would do big family get togethers and mom would be all hurt that her daughter went to everyone else in the family first for comfort. Well duh. She doesn't really KNOW you.

Whatever. No one needs to justify their reasons to me. I'm sure plenty of people will be all "My kid is proud of their parent for defending our country" That's great. It will make a great college admissions essay I'm sure. We all need hardship and times of hopelessness as children to fuel our admissions essays.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured