Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why do some of you dislike the military? *slight edit

Posted by   + Show Post

There is another post bout vaccines and the military and some of the moms seemed to really dislike the military. I understand not want to join or not wanting your kids or so to join but some of them seemed to have a very low opinion of people in the military and I am not sure why.

If you can state your opinion in a way that isn't offensive that's fine just remember its your opinion and not fact.

*so a lot of you are saying it is because of the sense of entitlement they (the military and their families) have. Can I just ask what you are basing this on. Is it through personal experience?  Is it from a large pool of military people you have interacting with or is it based on a few people you know?

I ask becaue I know people not in the military that feel that sense of entitlement for whatever reason and I don't think it has to do with their career choice, it is more a personality flaw. I know military that do feel entitled but I know more that don't.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a high opinion of the people who enlist, but as far as the higher-ups my ex has had to deal with -- no respect from me whatsoever.  He was turned away and told to "sleep it off" when he tried to get help and now 4 years later they finally find his TBI and have completely ignored his PTSD issues, not to mention they KNEW his back is broken (he has a hairline fracture that is years old but never calcified) due to an explosion in Iraq and they did nothing.. nothing at all until he found a decent VA advocate.

Did not get a fucking dime until 3 years after he was discharged medically on a JOKE of 20% disabled.

I am sorry about your husband. And I understand you disliking the higher-ups he has to deal with but do you dislike all officers....even if they started out enlisted. Or the higher-ups that are enlisted? I am just curious.

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

That massively sucks. My father is still fighting for injuries he recieved while deployed during Desert Storm / Desert Sheild. I hope your husband gets the help he needs and they do him right.  Has he joined his local DAV?  Depending on how good they are, a lot of them are very helpful in helping disabled vets in getting help and their disability increased if needed. Good support too (if it is a good group).

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a high opinion of the people who enlist, but as far as the higher-ups my ex has had to deal with -- no respect from me whatsoever.  He was turned away and told to "sleep it off" when he tried to get help and now 4 years later they finally find his TBI and have completely ignored his PTSD issues, not to mention they KNEW his back is broken (he has a hairline fracture that is years old but never calcified) due to an explosion in Iraq and they did nothing.. nothing at all until he found a decent VA advocate.

Did not get a fucking dime until 3 years after he was discharged medically on a JOKE of 20% disabled.

curlycupcake
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't dislike the military. I'm very grateful for the sacrifices made by them. What I don't like is our government who calls the shots. Nor do I like the fact that our returning soldiers are not properly cared for. I wouldn't be married to a military man, and I would be very scared if my children joined. One thing about the military that is what I consider a "nesiscary evil" is that of the boot camp "breaking down & rebuilding" people. The army changed my father, and not in good ways. I don't think their rebuilding process is very effective for many. I also find many veterans to be emotionally damaged and a bit scary. I don't blame the soldiers for this. I blame the VA & other organizations who are responsible for helping the vets reaclimate to civilian life.
So, there's my two cents. For what it's worth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I love and appreciate the military.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Well I promise I am nice..

Quoting armstrong7984:

i live next to a air force base, i gotta say their all douches. i havent met one that hasnt been someone that i could stand and thats before i even realized their air force lol.

Quoting ebbierowe:

Well heck I dislike those wives too and I am a Air Force wife. I avoid them...

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't dislike the military,  I do dislike some of their wives because of their snotty entitled attitudes though!

cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM
I dislike some wives, they think they wear rank too, and they are extremely disrespectful to my DH, even though he's a sahd.

but army doctors are not the best or the brightest, I had one diagnose me with webmd on his iPhone! sheer yuck!
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I have no probem with the military. I don't know why anyone would dislkie a person (people) who are fighint for OUR freedon. My brother is in the Army - Frontline Infantry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ebbierowe:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am sorry about your husband. And I understand you disliking the higher-ups he has to deal with but do you dislike all officers....even if they started out enlisted. Or the higher-ups that are enlisted? I am just curious.

No, just a few.. a handful that we've dealt with were decent human beings, but the ones that he went to for help while in Iraq just brushed him off.  As long as you can hold a gun they don't care what condition you are in.  I am glad that the NCO he punched ended up being the one that got in trouble .. I DO like who ever it was that handled THAT situation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

i dont hate the military.  i just dont see why they ever expect special treatment.  they signed up for a job.  its a hard job, and not everyone would be willing to make the sacrifise to do that type of job....but lots of people have hard jobs and help support their families and communities.

not all military people are whiny like that but man, some of the wives on here give military households a bad name lol!

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

well I guess I see the other side of it more becuase DH is Air Force but he is a physicist...pretty much all of his friends are engineers. But they are officers so they are expected to lead.

As are as special privileges I don't really think we get any as his family. We have health benefits like we would with another job granted we don't pay for them, we pay for dental. yes we get a housing allowance but that is becuase the military tells else when to move so the help provide a place for us to live, which many jobs do. Even if you live on base you get the allowance becuase alot of base housing is priviatized. Aside from that that the only priviliages I really get are store discounts...but thats it.

Quoting Elyce225:

I think *most* of the military is for those who can not do anything else.  It doesn't take someone intelligent to follow orders.  I don't support the *current* military because they are at war for nothing.  We are no longer fighting for our freedom, we are and will continue to be free, not because of the current military. 

I know a lot of people who wanted to join the military just to kill people.  That is horrible.  I don't think that military personal of their families should have any special privileges.  They do not do anything special.  

I know some people in the military who are absolutely brilliant and incredible people.  We are to others what they are to us.  Meaning, we think there are terrorist ruining America.  Well we are the terrorist in other countries ruining and killing people over there.  We have killed enough innocent people on their land.  It's time to stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured