Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why do some of you dislike the military? *slight edit

Posted by   + Show Post

There is another post bout vaccines and the military and some of the moms seemed to really dislike the military. I understand not want to join or not wanting your kids or so to join but some of them seemed to have a very low opinion of people in the military and I am not sure why.

If you can state your opinion in a way that isn't offensive that's fine just remember its your opinion and not fact.

*so a lot of you are saying it is because of the sense of entitlement they (the military and their families) have. Can I just ask what you are basing this on. Is it through personal experience?  Is it from a large pool of military people you have interacting with or is it based on a few people you know?

I ask becaue I know people not in the military that feel that sense of entitlement for whatever reason and I don't think it has to do with their career choice, it is more a personality flaw. I know military that do feel entitled but I know more that don't.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's the entitlement that they feel.  I have lot of respect for those that were drafted into the miltary years ago.  They did not have a choice but they fought for our country.  Those now days CHOOSE to do it as a career.  It's their choice whether they want to or not.  It's a job. Another thing that makes me upset is that there are police men actually HERE protecting us EVERY DAY and they get no recognition at all.  They get paid crap and treated like crap and get very little respect from others.  They are here in our country protecting us and everyone seems to take it for granted. 

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM
around here, fire fighters and police get the same or sometimes better discounts than the military. I love it. Don't know if they also give it to medical responders, but that would be cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont like the entitlement attitude they have. There are military discounts for alot of things. What about the nurses, first responders, firemen, and other people who have risky jobs that dont get discounts for everything or free meals. Military people signed up for their jobs just like everyone else, so why are they acting like the victim?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

not all military feel entitled...and honestly I would think a person with that kind of attitude would feel that way no matter what career path they choose.

my husband certainly doesn't feel entitled to anything accept a chance to prove himself and the oppurtunity to provide for his family. He doesn't think he is owed anything because he is in the Air Force.  And I certainly don't feel entitled as his wife.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's the entitlement that they feel.  I have lot of respect for those that were drafted into the miltary years ago.  They did not have a choice but they fought for our country.  Those now days CHOOSE to do it as a career.  It's their choice whether they want to or not.  It's a job. Another thing that makes me upset is that there are police men actually HERE protecting us EVERY DAY and they get no recognition at all.  They get paid crap and treated like crap and get very little respect from others.  They are here in our country protecting us and everyone seems to take it for granted. 

armstrong7984
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

ya i have nothing against military, my dh is a vetran was a sargent in the special forces for many years. but here all the ones i seem to come across have an irrogance about them...they remind me of brats if that makes sense.

Quoting ebbierowe:

Well I promise I am nice..

Quoting armstrong7984:

i live next to a air force base, i gotta say their all douches. i havent met one that hasnt been someone that i could stand and thats before i even realized their air force lol.

Quoting ebbierowe:

Well heck I dislike those wives too and I am a Air Force wife. I avoid them...

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't dislike the military,  I do dislike some of their wives because of their snotty entitled attitudes though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

To be totally honest... I think it's a bunch of uneducated (for the most part) poor people that don't know what else to do so they sign up under the pretense of "doing it for my country".  (No you are doing it for yourself or family)  and then they walk around all entitled because they "served their country" in wars they know nothing about and then I am supposed to feel really grateful.  Many of the things the military does does more harm than good.  NO?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

They don't here.   These are the guys you see every day out there and they get no respect.  Wonder if people would act differently if they saw what would happened if not police were around?

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

around here, fire fighters and police get the same or sometimes better discounts than the military. I love it. Don't know if they also give it to medical responders, but that would be cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont like the entitlement attitude they have. There are military discounts for alot of things. What about the nurses, first responders, firemen, and other people who have risky jobs that dont get discounts for everything or free meals. Military people signed up for their jobs just like everyone else, so why are they acting like the victim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I realize not all military people have the entitlement attitude, but most that I've met do. I know there are always exceptions and no I don't dislike your husband. I don't dislike any military personnel. That is just stupid. But I've worked in different retail stores and it aggravated me how people always asked if we did military discounts and seemed disappointed or changed their mind about a purchase when I said no.

Quoting ebbierowe:

so you are assuming all military people are like that? if so this is the issue I have. You are making assumptions about a ton of people you don't know. Now if you are saying the ones you know are like that it is a totally different thing. but the way that reads you dislike my husband becuase you think he has an entitlement attitude. And for the record no one forces places to give military discounts that is something the company decides to do. it is not like I can go in and demand a discount cause my husband is active duty....that is just silly.

Quoting Anonymous:

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I live at fort campbell.

A uniform does NOT cleanse the gene pool.
80% of the army wives I've met are self entitled bitches, most of which married and reproduce for benefits.

Almost all of the soldiers I've met are either

A) batshit crazy (and were that way BEFORE the army)

B) joined the army to get out of criminal charges

C) think that because they wear a uniform that you should drop your panties no matter what and

D) that they are owed everything because they pick up garbage on post for a living.

If you EARN respect doing your JOB I have respect for you, but no more so than a firefighter, ER doctor (seriously its  violent job) or anyone else.

I respect you for being able to leave your family, risk death repeatedly (in some cases) and doing your job. 

BUT if you signed up YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE GETTING INTO and if you RESIGN you get ZERO sympathy from me.

I have never met such disgusting people as I have here at fort campbell. They are just pricks.

Now I am POSITIVE there are deserving service members out there and I give them my full respect and believe they deserve everything they have and more.

If you were sent to trim hedges for 4 years because the army deemed you worthless for other applications, I do not believe you deserve anything more than a gardeners wage and benefits.

Might I edit to add: My SO is SF Army and I respect everything he does as well as his unit members without the entitlement and crazy issues.

If you go nutty from a service related trauma, I cannot fault you and you get sympathy.

Also I used to work for the VA and contracted with an army hospital for a while-- I've seen everything, I did not take this position uninformed.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I would never want my kids to join the military. I am prior service and my DH has been in for almost 15 years. It's just not something that I want for them. I have heard of too many of my husband's friend dying over there and that would kill me so I would strongly advise against it!

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thats really common around here. Theres a particular greek place in the mall here that does not offer discounts and people will walk away and go across the street to dairy queen instead-- and pay more- because they get 10% off!

What upsets me, especially here in armytown, is when places like Lowes offer military 10% off, but if you have a credit card you get 15-20% off, or you can get a coupon in the paper for 20% off.

If youre going to offer a discount to a certain set of people, at least make it equal to the coupon ANYONE can pick up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I realize not all military people have the entitlement attitude, but most that I've met do. I know there are always exceptions and no I don't dislike your husband. I don't dislike any military personnel. That is just stupid. But I've worked in different retail stores and it aggravated me how people always asked if we did military discounts and seemed disappointed or changed their mind about a purchase when I said no.

Quoting ebbierowe:

so you are assuming all military people are like that? if so this is the issue I have. You are making assumptions about a ton of people you don't know. Now if you are saying the ones you know are like that it is a totally different thing. but the way that reads you dislike my husband becuase you think he has an entitlement attitude. And for the record no one forces places to give military discounts that is something the company decides to do. it is not like I can go in and demand a discount cause my husband is active duty....that is just silly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)